6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:19 pm 

I'm using Dark Reader extension for most websites, it works really well but it's not always good with the images.

So I made a dark mode user style (CSS only) for myself and decided to share it in case some of y'all like their screens dark as much as I do: https://userstyles.world/style/11705/da ... m-6502-org

I'm using it with Stylish extension on my Firefox, but there are plenty of others (including other browsers) since the user style format is an open standard.

It will probably work well with other PHPBB2-based forums - you'll just need to update it with the domains to apply it for.

Let me know if you find any forum sections that I forgot to cover.

Images are by Jodi-86 (https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... ver_based/) and are licensed under GNU GPL v2, and so is my user style.

Attachments:
dark.jpg
dark.jpg [ 470.89 KiB | Viewed 9287 times ]

deck65 - 6502 slab with screen and keyboard | ПК-88 - SBC based on KM1810VM88 (Ukrainian i8088 clone) | leo80 - simple Z80 SBC
nice65 - 6502 assembly linter | My parts, footprints & 3D models for KiCad/FreeCAD
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:35 pm 

damn that looks really good. i wish a dark mode was a native feature on these forums.
though you'll run into issues when it comes to custom text colors as some forum members always set their text to be black (even though it's already almost black), which would then be difficult to read.
one option would be to have a white outline around text with dark colors.
another option would be to simply render all text in white regardless of the custom color it was assigned.
or you could do nothing as the site doesn't add outlines to very bright colors either. (though i feel like it should as otherwise those colors are kinda useless) (yes there is text here)

either way i'll see if i can get that working

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:14 pm 

Yeah - I stumbled upon some of Garth's posts and ended up forcing all text color inside messages to white.
But I like your idea with borders/shadows: it might worth a try.

I also fixed borders in some of forum icons - the default ones had ugly white edges when on dark background.

deck65 - 6502 slab with screen and keyboard | ПК-88 - SBC based on KM1810VM88 (Ukrainian i8088 clone) | leo80 - simple Z80 SBC
nice65 - 6502 assembly linter | My parts, footprints & 3D models for KiCad/FreeCAD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:26 pm 

I use the ProSilver mode, whereas I think many members are using the tan one instead.  I and at least two others started turning all our posts black, color code 000000, because this ridiculous modern idea of "softening" the text by making it gray dramatically reduces my reading speed and comprehension, both.  The argument for this "softening" is that the contrast on the screen is higher than that of black ink on white paper; but no, I never have the problem with ink & paper, only "softened" font on the screen.  In extreme cases, they make it so I can sort of tell there's text there but I can't read it without getting up out of my chair and leaning way forward to get really close to my monitor which is behind my keyboard, landline phone, and other stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:35 pm 

Garth, is the theme configurable somewhere? I couldn't find such option in my profile.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:07 pm 

and3rson wrote:
Garth, is the theme configurable somewhere? I couldn't find such option in my profile.

I was looking for it when I wrote the post, to refer to it, but I can't find it anymore.  Which one did you have?  Was it more blue, or more tan?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:43 pm 

I feel like the original purpose of CSS has got kind of lost along the way. It's meant to be there to allow users to choose how things look, not really to allow publishers to enforce it. It's nice to see that some browsers (or at least extensions?) do allow users to specify their own custom stylesheets so that they can see everything in colours and styles that suit them, I will give it a go, at least as a base to customize for myself, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:46 am 

hmm the theme only seems to be half-functional for me, the text color and the icons are different but the actual background colors are the same white/gray/blue as before.
i am on firefox with "toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets" enabled.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:13 am 

gfoot wrote:
I feel like the original purpose of CSS has got kind of lost along the way. It's meant to be there to allow users to choose how things look, not really to allow publishers to enforce it. It's nice to see that some browsers (or at least extensions?) do allow users to specify their own custom stylesheets so that they can see everything in colours and styles that suit them, I will give it a go, at least as a base to customize for myself, thanks!

This, 100%. Stop telling my browser how you think I want things typeset.

Personal hate: a coloured pencil brigade designer who decides pale gray on slightly paler gray is in interesting and readable aesthetic, but can't be bothered to control the width of a column by the average number of words in it...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:53 pm 

I'm quite a fan of the fact that forum.6502.org still supports Netscape Navigator.
Attachment:
Netscape.png
Netscape.png [ 86.88 KiB | Viewed 9168 times ]

...but a dark mode would be nice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:41 am 

+1 for dark mode.

I find that light mode screens are getting harder and harder for me to read. Not to mention they show every little speck or streak on my glasses and since I cannot for the life of me keep my glasses clean, I prefer dark mode on everything. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:49 pm 

Oh, I like that. Just added the extension and the custom style; looks great!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:49 pm 

Is there a way to get this style in/on Chrome on my Windows PC?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:10 pm 

Michael wrote:
Is there a way to get this style in/on Chrome on my Windows PC?

If you click on the first link in the first post and click "Get Stylus" you'll be taken to a page that has a Chrome plugin. Install it, go back to the page with "Get Stylus" and click "install" and it should work out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:35 am 

Thank you very much...