6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introduce yourself
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:10 pm 

Hello everyone,
I'm Jonathan and go by the handle java6502. java because that's what occupies most of my day and pay's the bills, and 6502 because that's what I do for fun. I truly believe however a very tiny Java VM to run on a 6502/65816 should be possible, even if very limited in scope. Anyway, I digress.

I would like to start by saying thank you. I have learned a tremendous amount from this forum over the years. I have reached out to several people on the forum and all have been very generous with their time, advice, and help. I hope to have many more great conversations with all of you in the near future.

Thanks,
Jonathan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:32 pm 

java6502 wrote:
Hello everyone,
I'm Jonathan and go by the handle java6502. java because that's what occupies most of my day and pay's the bills, and 6502 because that's what I do for fun. I truly believe however a very tiny Java VM to run on a 6502/65816 should be possible, even if very limited in scope. Anyway, I digress.

I would like to start by saying thank you. I have learned a tremendous amount from this forum over the years. I have reached out to several people on the forum and all have been very generous with their time, advice, and help. I hope to have many more great conversations with all of you in the near future.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Welcome on-board.

This may interest you: https://github.com/dschmenk/VM02

-Gordon

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 4:27 pm 

Hi, I'm back at last...
I'm Glenn Smith, and I was moderately active on the forum back in... 2002/2003 ! I purchased some 65C02 and 65C22 in the bulk-order purchase that was organised at that time (British-English spelling, sorry). I'm still living in France and am now retired - and starting to unpack my boxes marked "Experiments" and "6502 stuff".
I learned about microprocessors an the late 70's on a 2nd-hand Kim-1 and then an Acorn Atom (kit) that was still working 20 years later. It unfortunately got drowned in the basement of my flat in the late 90's. I was a support engineer for HP on the HP1000 series "real-time" computers and I was constantly transferring ideas and tricks between the HP1000<->6502s. I worked at HP for 20years, in SW & HW development, support, infrastructure mgmt., mainly for the HP "Vectra" PCs (built in France near to Grenoble).
Over the years I've played with many software development languages and systems, electronics in all of it's forms - analog, digital, hybrid even vacuum tubes (I'm still the preferred repair station for guitar amps in the region). Even though I regularly use PICs and AVRs for projects and customer solutions (generally programmed in C (AVR) or Pascal (PICs) - I still enjoy the challenge of using assembler to fit TONS of functions into tiny uPs. I just love the ATTiny chip ;0)
I have some projects lined-up to have fun with my sons and grandchildren (e.g. an arcade console based around one of the 6502 based systems of the 80's), and a workbench system rather like Garth Wilson's. I create my own PCBs and am also expert in creating mechanical parts in metal or plastic (CNC machine and 3D-printer).
Well, as a first-pass introduction I think I've covered most of my history. I'm looking forward to the upcoming discussions!
A bientôt !

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:42 am 

GlennSmith wrote:
I'm looking forward to the upcoming discussions!
As are we, Glenn! Thanks for sharing your very interesting profile. It's nice to hear your retirement is affording you some quality time with our favorite microprocessor family! :)

As for your poor, waterlogged Acorn Atom, did you ever try to get it running after the flood? In my experience, electronic devices can survive submersion surprisingly well if you just rinse 'em out (if the flood water was dirty) and give 'em a chance to thoroughly dry.

-- Jeff

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:50 pm 

GlennSmith wrote:
Hi, I'm back at last...

I never knew you were gone. :D

As for the submerged Acorn Atom, and as Jeff noted, you might be able to resurrect it with a thorough rinsing of the PCB under fresh water. Even the mechanical stuff might be salvageable. It would be a shame to see it end up as E-waste.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 6:54 pm 

Hello, everyone! I'm ssturgis and I first got introduced to the 6502 world when I bought a KIM-1 back in 1976. In the following years, I built-up a fairly complete KIM-1 based system using components from RNB Enterprises, Hudson Digital, Micro Technology Limited, and Problem Solver Systems. At the time, I had a little bit of experience with programming in FORTRAN, but zippo in assembler. The KIM-1 was my intro to to the wonderful world of computers. My first homebuilt 6502 SBC was constructed with wire wrap on a Vector 3682-4 plugboard in the early 80's. Around 1983, I managed to get employed as a software developer for the PC and left the 6502 world behind. I had some some experience in programming in C by then and, in those days, you could get a job as a C programmer if you could correctly spell "C". The software development and project management went on for about 30 years and I retired a few years ago.

Just this year I unearthed all my old electronics equipment and 6502 spare parts. I then watched Ben Eater's series on building a 65c02 SBC. That inspired me to build my own 65c02 SBC with wire wrap and the ROM and RAM that Ben used. (My first 6502 SBC used a 2716 ROM and a 5516 RAM.) I've been studing the forum for about a month (after having joined back in 2005) and am really impressed at how knowledgable the forum members are. I'm defintely learning a lot. Reading about BDD's POC-1 has inspired me to start an '816 SBC based on his design. Also with wire wrap and the traditional Vector plugboard. And, unfortunately, the tired old 6551 ACIA. Sadly, the UARTs/DUARTs that are in favor these days all seem to be discontinued or only avaliable in SMD packages. The FT245 solution presented by plasmo on his website looks very intriguing and I'll be experimenting with that when I get the FT245 boards I just ordered.
https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/doku.php?id=builderpages:plasmo:6502:prog65:prog65r2:prog65r2home

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 5:07 am 

ssturgis wrote:
I've been studing the forum for about a month (after having joined back in 2005) and am really impressed at how knowledgable the forum members are.

Glad to read you’ve “upgraded” from lurker to participant. :D

Quote:
Reading about BDD's POC-1 has inspired me to start an '816 SBC based on his design.

Of the POC series, V1.3 would likely be the best one to study. It runs at 16 MHz, has 128K of RAM and is all-discrete. Furthermore, it is the only one in the V1 series that has had absolutely no bodge wiring to fix/change the glue logic—it worked right out of the gate.

Quote:
Also with wire wrap and the traditional Vector plugboard.

Wire wrap has become a somewhat-expensive method of building. Also, with the availability of low-cost PCBs, wire wrap appears to becoming a dying art.

Quote:
And, unfortunately, the tired old 6551 ACIA.

Worse yet, the WDC 65C51 that was released about 10 years ago has a nasty bug involving the transmitter. There have been several proposed workarounds, but the reality is the 6551 design is so obsolete it needs to be given a funeral with full military honors. :D

Quote:
Sadly, the UARTs/DUARTs that are in favor these days all seem to be discontinued or only avaliable in SMD packages.

Not totally. The Exar 88C92 is in a PLCC-44 package, which can be socketed. It is functionally equivalent to the NXP 26C92, which device I used in my POC V1.1 unit. The NXP 28L92 has been officially EOLed, but evidently is still being produced—I purchased 10 a few weeks ago from Mouser.

Both Exar and TI continue to offer their 28L92 equivalents in QFP. I posted a topic a while back about them, with the notice that I’d consider producing a module mounting the QFP version in a hobby-friendly form. However, no one appears interested at this time.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 2:07 pm 

Hello!

Let me introduce myself :)
My name is Tom and I am new to the 6502 forum, where I have been reading for many, many years.
I am interested in programming (mostly Commodore 64 with C64Studio and VICE emulator, very basic C like languages and Javascript and a language called Purebasic for PC, hence my name) and microprocessor technology or retrocomputer technology, so on the level of a hobbyist.
I am not a trained technician, on the contrary.

I can't promise whether any of my projects will ever be finished, also after an intensive initial phase with fanatical working I often lose interest in a project after some time, start a new one, return to the old one, and so on.
In addition, I have an extremely time-consuming job.

My language is not English (but I can do it, passively better than actively), I work with DeepL to make it easier for myself.

I would like to thank everyone here who has given me so much input into my hobby. As I said, I've been reading along for countless years.

Kind regards :D
Tom, puregorill

Edit:
And I apologise that - because I didn't look carefully - I posted an identical-word self-introduction in the "Newbies" subforum (seemed logical to me there). Sorry.

Last edited by puregorill on Sun May 28, 2023 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 2:39 pm 

puregorill wrote:
after an intensive initial phase with fanatical working I often lose interest in a project after some time, start a new one, return to the old one, and so on.
Ha! This sounds awfully familiar, I must confess! That's because my own hobby projects tend to follow much the same pattern... :roll:

Welcome, Tom!

-- Jeff

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 6:35 pm 

Thanks for the welcome, Jeff.
Yes, I was hoping I wasn't alone in this and that it was just me "suffering" from it. :-)
A sorrow shared is a sorrow halved. ;-)

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:29 am 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
puregorill wrote:
after an intensive initial phase with fanatical working I often lose interest in a project after some time, start a new one, return to the old one, and so on.
Ha! This sounds awfully familiar, I must confess! That's because my own hobby projects tend to follow much the same pattern... :roll:

Welcome, Tom!

-- Jeff

I suspect that you are not alone. For me (and perhaps many other engineer/tinkerers) the issue is not to build a system to perform a particular system (e.g. an OS) but to implement an interesting idea and find out if it works. Of course, it may get built one day into a system of some sort but that's not the primary aim - I'm never going to build a browser in a 6502, for example. But I might build something of the complexity of a 1980s home computer.

Neil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:34 pm 

Hello there,
Just an introduction, its Adam here going by the handle AdamT117.
I have been using a lot of the great knowledge and resources linked here and elsewhere to gain a better understanding of "how computers work". Generally I am keen on hardware tinkering, following and assembling new C64 hardware developments and have more recently been active with KiCad! I have just wrestled with building my own 65C02 hobby PCB with the main goal of this being a trainer for improving my coding.
To be honest I have a hard time with the coding part and this holds me back. But I am keen on learning more and hopefully keeping the momentum on this. Currently I am doing some reading on mini assemblers and general assembly, with the idea that some simple native coding and assembly on my PCB would really help my novice understanding.

Adam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:53 pm 

Welcome! Sounds like you're in a good position - lots of learning ahead!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:44 am 
Site Admin

GlennSmith wrote:
Hi, I'm back at last...
I'm Glenn Smith, and I was moderately active on the forum back in... 2002/2003 ! I purchased some 65C02 and 65C22 in the bulk-order purchase that was organised at that time (British-English spelling, sorry). I'm still living in France and am now retired - and starting to unpack my boxes marked "Experiments" and "6502 stuff".

Great to see you back on the forum, Glenn!

GlennSmith wrote:
Even though I regularly use PICs and AVRs for projects and customer solutions (generally programmed in C (AVR) or Pascal (PICs) - I still enjoy the challenge of using assembler to fit TONS of functions into tiny uPs. I just love the ATTiny chip ;0)

I did a small project recently with the ATTiny212 and programmed it in assembly. I like the AVR assembly language and the built-in peripherals of the ATTiny212 made my project easy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:54 am 

Most know me from the art communities InkBunny, Derpibooru, and Furbooru. At my roots I am fascinated by number systems. I hope to build a dawless system for music. Via different processors, microcontrollers, and modular synth design. My interest in the 6502 began with Ben Eater like most.

My interest in synthesis began with LMNC. Totally oxymoron and a small tinge of cliche for after taste. Am I right? Had one person tell me I should name my Synth/MIDI computer, "Look Dad a Computer." Basically to make it even more cringe. However, I have too much respect for Sam to do this. If I do it will be for a blog serie based on the 6502 surrounding CV and the MIDI protocall.

Lastly to prevent confusion. I am a guy whoes screen name corolates to scripture. Like a tree planted by the water. Except more so on the fact lily gardens tend to start in ceramic pots. Then carefully planted in a pond by ropes or cords. Fathom adds to this meaning fathom possibility. Via the possibility of surviving the plunge into the deaper waters spiritually. My InkBunny account. explains all this in more detail, but here it is in a nutshell.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next