6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 672 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introduce yourself
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:22 pm 

Welcome! Make sure you also search for 816 and 65816!
Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:27 am 

Hello there,

I'm currently finishing my Masters in Engineering Science, and have been doing a number of electronic/firmware related work before. I'm doing a lot of PIC16/18F, dsPIC, PIC32 and now just starting with ARM Cortexes.

My exposure of retro computing world is limited - I started with a dated console called "Micro Genius" which is a Super Famicom clone when I was 6, and got myself a computer with a CD-ROM at the age of 8. Much of the youth I had been practising some BASIC and fooling around with games and Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 before I got myself into C++. Since then, I picked up the first PIC16F board (with the Pickit 2) for my birthday present in my undergrad days and that brings me into learning a lot more about hardware and retro computing.

I also come to this forum and found a lot of interesting bits to read. I feel lucky to register here too. :)

Thanks for reading.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:17 am 

The_YongGrand wrote:
Hello there,

I'm currently finishing my Masters in Engineering Science, and have been doing a number of electronic/firmware related work before...I also come to this forum and found a lot of interesting bits to read. I feel lucky to register here too. :)

Thanks for reading.

Glad to have you aboard!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:24 am 

Hello,

I'm a programmer for a computer game company. I started to teach myself programming when I was a kid on my first computer, an Apple ][+. My first delving into opcode was on my Apple ][GS when staring at 0x20 and the other codes was like looking at the Matrix. Far later in life I got a CS degree and my senior project was a Windows app done in Assembly... everyone thought I was insane, but I had so much fun. I've always loved the low level, roll your sleeves up, programming of opcodes and hex.

Most recently, I really started to get into 6502 through work. We've been working on a sequel to a 1980's game and my boss mentioned, "I would love it if we actually emulated an old 6502 in the game and people could write programs for it." YES! ;) Many late nights, but I got an emulated 6502 computer in our game. I had a blast creating the memory mappings, low-res/high-res modes, a font system and a few soft switches. As a kid I always thought my Apple ][+ was magical and I wanted to know how it worked. It was pretty great to build a 6502 computer later in life and fulfill that childhood dream... well... sort of... virtually. ;)

I had such a blast that I started to create an unbeatable tic-tac-toe game. I was able to get that in the game as well. So, what started out as a fun little easter egg idea turned into a bit more for me. My co-workers think I'm insane, but I have to say there's something truly zen about programming for the 6502 on a computer you created.

I wanted to join this group to keep delving. I had a blast devising the method I used for the tic-tac-toe game and wanted to keep exploring architecture and algorithms.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:30 am 

Quote:
I always thought my Apple ][+ was magical and I wanted to know how it worked. It was pretty great to build a 6502 computer later in life and fulfill that childhood dream... well... sort of... virtually. ;)
Welcome, Joby! Since you find 65xx machines magical, it's clear you came to the right place!

And who knows. Maybe eventually you'll catch the bug and build a real, flesh-and-blood 65xx machine to cuddle and call your own! :D

-- Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:18 am 

Joby wrote:
I'm a programmer for a computer game company...Most recently, I really started to get into 6502 through work.

As Jeff said, you're definitely in the right place. Welcome aboard.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:51 am 

Great story Joby, welcome!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:49 pm 

Well, as mentioned on other threads I'm embarrassingly late in discovering this forum and associated excellent resources!

I'm a Chicago-based programmer in the finance industry, having got here via working at YouTube/Google, my own consulting/C++ tech company and 12 years' hard labour in the UK Games Industry.

I was lucky enough to get my first computer in 1984: a Spectrum 48. After exhausting the games I could afford I started making my own. I transitioned through a Spectrum +3 to a BBC Master (my first 65*2 machine). The lessons learned on all these machines (along with my schoolchum and fellow forum-er RichTW) set me up for my career of beating Playstations, Dreamcasts and Xboxes into submission. I'm lucky that even having left all that behind, the skills are still just as relevant in finance :)

I'm the main developer of jsbeeb, a cycle-perfect (I think!) BBC B and BBC Master emulator written in Javascript. The source is on github, if anyone's interested. I also wrote up some posts on how the cycle-perfection is achieved, if you're interested.

In the unlikely event of anyone in the Chicago around being up for meeting, I'm always up for a pint and a reminisce about 65*2s and their like.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:18 pm 

MattGodbolt wrote:
Well, as mentioned on other threads I'm embarrassingly late in discovering this forum and associated excellent resources!

Welcome aboard.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:30 pm 

Hello, my name is Petri and I'm a 6502 addict.

I make games for living and electronics and dancing are my hobbies. I own a C64 and a VIC-20 and I'm building my first 8-bit computer right now. Some time ago I made a 8-bit game console based on the ATMega328P MCU and a game for it. Check it out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLvgW_zb6bQ

You can also check out my electronics blog at http://petenpaja.blogspot.fi. I try to update it a few times a year.

Good to be here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:30 pm 

... Welcome, good to see you here. An addiction to the 6502 cpu (as you confessed) is one of the very few addictions in life, that actually can be a healthy endeavour.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:03 am 

Welcome! Nice projects on your blog. I see you also etch your own PCB’s. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:43 pm 

phvic wrote:
Hello, my name is Petri and I'm a 6502 addict.

Well, you have arrived at the center for the treatment of advanced 6502 addiction. :lol: Welcome aboard.

Quote:
I make games for living and electronics and dancing are my hobbies.

Somehow I'm getting a vision of two robots doing the tango.

Quote:
You can also check out my electronics blog at http://petenpaja.blogspot.fi. I try to update it a few times a year.

I like that reaction game thingie. At my age I'd lose almost immediately after the game started. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:57 pm 

Thanks all!

Yes, I'm doing my own PCBs. I haven't been very active updating the blog lately but I've moved from hand-drawn PCBs to photo etching. Quality is superb. In theory I should be able to do double-sided boards too, if I can get the layers to align exactly.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6zi6n5hlj7lwv ... h.jpg?dl=0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:09 pm 

After three posts, it's probably about time I got in here and formally said, "Hello World." Through the years I have been one of those guys who would come to 6502.org for information on any number of topics, but who did not contribute to the forum as a member. After experiencing the letdown of belonging to another 65x forum and seeing how a few could disrupt the ideas of many, or more accurately, the over-whelming presence of mean opinions combined with a lack of programmers who enjoy writing and discussing code for the love of the game, I decided to jump in here. Well, I'm already happy I did!

As for the quick bio, I am 50, and a retired DISH Network Satellite TV retailer who lives in Florida with my wife Colleen, or "Mrs. Satpro", as we lovingly call her (she was half of that fun business for 15 years). I am an avid x86 assembly language programmer and a lifetime fan of the SuperCPU and its 65816. My current project is an offspring of an idea that began in 1990 or so -- a new native-mode operating system for the c64/SuperCPU called Winc64. More recently I have taken the idea one step further and expanded it to two levels -- a 100% x86 assembly language version of a fantasy retro computer with modern features and capabilities, complete with DirectX graphics (DirectX absolutely flies in assembly, BTW!) and a 65832 cpu (as defined in the data sheet from WDC). While it (named Evolution) won't be done tomorrow, it's something I wake up every day to (and go to sleep at night) thinking about, and it's been like this for many years. It almost sounds obsessive, but I am sure many of you here already know the feeling. And of course... it's either this -- or Honey Do. :D

For me it's interesting (and exciting) to see the number of 65x hardware guys on this forum; I really didn't know until now, after reading through much of the forum. So I come here ready to contribute in any way I am able. Although I have not dabbled much in hardware per se, I am certainly knowledgeable when it comes to things like '816 native interrupts, x86 assembly, etc. For anyone interested, I have tons of digital info to share, especially for the mysterious SuperCPU, for which (sadly) the original schematics have been lost, and have managed (thru time and exploration) to map and document nearly the entire OS (it's interesting for sure, a marvelous piece of hardware).

So again, hello, and thanks for having me. I'll bet this place will be fun.

Bert Novilla
Ocala, FL

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 672 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 45  Next