6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introduce yourself
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:32 pm 

PandaPro wrote:
Hi my name is Aydan my friend taught me how to flash an LED on and off realy fast on a basic Stamp i have never programmed a 6502 before. :mrgreen: I am ten years old. I'm learning about logic gates and 74xx TTL chips. My friend is makeing his first 6502 computer and im going to help. right now im learning about the memmary map and RAM ROM I/O decoding. my friend is trying to trick kids into learning how to code he is making a parody of monoply called TechNopoly . I'm gonna Help him beta test it. I'm gonna learn machine language 10101001001111000101010101010100111001010110101

Welcome, Aydan!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:35 pm 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
"There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary arithmetic, and those who don't!"

I think my dad (God rest his bones) was a little tyke in the swamp when that one came about. :lol:

Another one I heard (and am hoping to correctly repeat) is there are two types of people in the world: 01 and 10. :?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:43 am 

I could see that as a play on the optimist/pessimist quote:

There are two types of people in this world: Those who see half the bits set, and those who see half the bits clear.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:18 am 

I know we're OT but that reminds me of a cartoon... :)
( It's worth visiting this fellow's web site at www.andertoons.com )
Attachment:
cartoon6152.png
cartoon6152.png [ 28.91 KiB | Viewed 1453 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:41 pm 

my robot is gonna be like bender

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3507&p=41625#p41625

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:14 am 

Hi. My name is David. After years (a decade?) of lurking I'm happy to finally join the community!

My first computer was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum. I spent all my time writing BASIC programs, learning from a "Building BASIC" series from a magazine. At the back of the Spectrum manual was a table of Z80 mnemonics and opcodes, with strange columns labeled "After CB" and "After ED". What did this mean? Some kind of alien language? I don't know... Then one day a magazine did a series on Z80 Machine Language. Machine Language? It held the promise to unlock the real power of the Z80, and claimed 100x speedup over BASIC. This 13 year old was hooked. I took my first steps into a new world.

Next came the Atari 800XL and its 6502. I skipped BASIC entirely, immediately buying the Atari Assembler Editor cartridge - possibly the slowest assembler in the world. Having gotten used to the many registers of the Z80, the 6502 seemed a bit of a step back, but I got to grips with it - eventually preferring its simplicity, and marveling at its speed. The custom graphics hardware of the Atari gave me lots of things to experiment with. I'd just started to dip my toe into interrupts on the Spectrum. The Atari was all about the interrupts. Display List Interrupts. Vertical Blank Interrupts. So cool. The graphics modes... the colors... Oh yeah... I was a 15 year old game programmer!! Well... not really. I dabbled, but my programs never progressed beyond a few hundred lines. Did I mention how slow the Atari Assembler Editor cartridge was?

The Atari ST (who could afford an Amiga? I mean... really?) introduced me to the 68000. From a 6502 to a 68000.... Oh my God that's one hell of an upgrade. So much to learn. So fun. The HiSoft DevPac assembler was super fast. This Atari's display system was very simple, so it was all about writing the optimal software sprites code, taking interrupts to change colors and sync to the display. I never did get into sound programming on any of these early machines. For me it was all about moving little 2D shapes around the screen.

The ST and its 68000 kept me going through university (I had a very brief affair with a 6809). My first job was building network equipment using 68000-based VME chassis. Although mostly in 'C', my 68k skills helped immensely with debugging.

Most of my professional life has been working closely with hardware engineers and chip designers. With the help of a Digilent FPGA board, I taught myself Verilog to give me a good frame of reference when talking to chip guys. It has given me an invaluable insight into the constraints these guys are up against.

In the early 2000s I picked up Nintendo GBA programming... ARM assembly. This was Atari 800XL-level fun. Sprites and cool graphics. I wrote a few simple games for myself. Held my interest for a while.

In the mid 2000s I landed at a company that uses embedded MIPS32 cores in its ASICs, and that's the fun that keeps me busy to this day. Most of my work is in 'C', and the system I work on is bespoke enough that it requires me to write more than the occasional assembler code. MIPS32 was my first practical introduction to an MMU. I used to get intimidated by kernel code that referred to virtual addresses. Used to.

A very good friend of mine once said, "PCs are arse", and he meant it. He had an Amiga and I had an ST. While we played the games of the late 80s, you couldn't find two PCs that had the same graphics hardware, and if you did find a PC it had the graphics capabilities of a ZX-81. At least that's how we saw it. Because of this I never found any interest in the x86. The 90s brought 3Dfx and the beginnings of the hardware-accelerated 3D revolution - complete with Doom and Quake and all the gib splattering first-person gore you could imagine. Glorious as a gamer, but everything was abstract. The graphics were all hidden behind APIs and drivers. From a programming standpoint, it offered me nothing. The 90s also brought 386BSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD and Linux. Now you could have UNIX on your own PC. Create 5 user accounts and send mail between them. Go 'su'. Be root! Yeah... I'm a nerd.

So PCs are not, in fact, arse. And as I type this here on my Windows 10 laptop. I am, very much, "A PC". And although I do speak Linux and from time to time may write a line or two of code that runs on an x86, I don't really "speak" x86... beyond the trivial amount one must know to inspect a crash dump.

I still have my ZX Spectrum, Atari 800XL and Atari ST. They're safe in a cupboard. In boxes I open every 3 or 4 years just to see them. I'm in the US now, so none of it works (being UK kit). But I can't let it go... Unlike my first PC, which was unceremoniously dumped in a skip as soon as I bought an upgrade. When I'm feeling nostalgic I fire up an emulator on my laptop. Bursts of nostalgia often last only minutes, but some times you just have to play Bruce Lee on the Atari 800XL.

The 6502 represents a time of discovery and play for me, when you could understand everything that was going on in a system. That's a little lie. The 15 year old me didn't understand it all. He had no idea how the tape drive worked. Or the floppy drive. Or the sound system. Or really anything in the OS. But he did understand the CPU and the graphics. And he rarely spoke about himself in the 3rd person.

I always wanted to build an computer from scratch. Not just CPU, memory and blinky LEDs though... but something with a keyboard and graphics. I've been interested in logic design my whole life, but early on I discovered something key: I don't like soldering, or plug-boarding, or wire-wrapping, or pretty much anything about practical electronics building. I can read books about logic design, transistor circuit design, pipeline microarchitecture and even VLSI fabrication all day long... but you put a soldering iron in my hand and I'm just going to back away. If soldering were a cup of tea... it would not be for me. There's probably a better way to phrase that.

I've been reading this forum for years, and I love the passion you all have for the 6502. With the availability of 6502 cores in Verilog, along with an FPGA board with a VGA connector (yay Digilent!) it's finally possible for me to put something together without, for want of a better term, getting my hands dirty. I've synthesized small systems before and had a 6809 system running for a while. But I'd like to design something myself. For the challenge. Work and family always come first, so this is, and has been, a deep background task. I make progress from time to time, but I always make time to read the forums.

So, long story short: Hello, I'm a nerd. Nice to meet you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:39 am 

Welcome! It's nice to know something about someone who's actually been in the room for a long time but hasn't yet spoken up. I know I lurked for a year or two before dipping a toe in. It's great that we live in an age when so many projects are accessible, and we can still make use of the old, simple, lovely 6502.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:54 pm 

Howdy...

I'm new to 6502.org, joined after buying the W65C816SXB board.
http://wdc65xx.com/boards/w65c816sxb-engineering-development-system/
I plan to use the board in 6502 mode to refresh my 6502 assembler and then move on to learning the 65816.
Hook up some hardware and just play around with it.
I wanted a modern way of programming the 6502/65816 and I'm using Notepad++ to edit/compile/link/debug the W65C816SXB board.
One thing I really like is the fact that you can debug code on this board by stepping one instruction at the time and see the registers etc...

My first "6502" experience started with the Commodore 64, first in basic and then moving on to assembler.
It was great fun learning both the hardware and software and how they go together...
I still have a Commodore 64 sitting around and play some of my favorite games, like Fort Apocalypse.

Thanks for a great forum...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:32 pm 

Hi all,

I recently re-ignited my interest in 65xx computers and programming. Back in college I selected a laser 128ex over an ibm pc or apple IIgs or Macintosh basically for economical reasons. I eventually added 1 meg of memory to the internal ram card, a 3.5 disk drive and a 65802 cpu. There was no software available for the 65802 that I knew of at the time but I was intrigued enough to search for an available development platform for poor starving students. This was fairly early in the days of the internet, before WWW and Al Gore's "invention" of the internet. I had an academic account so I could read and write email and listservs and eventually ftp with kermit. I then located and downloaded something called HyperC, acquired the documentation and some source code for it. I self-taught myself assembly language programming with a library book and re-coded the pseudo-opcode interpreter from 8 bit emulation to 16 bit native mode. I initially worked with the originally implemented software parameter stack but eventually converted the interpreter to use a 16 bit hardware stack. After many hours of coding and bug hunting I eventually got it to work. The program would switch from native to emulation mode for operating system functions like disk read/writes but otherwise previously written programs operated in native mode with an obvious increase in speed (maybe 20% or so); programs being the HyperC development suite i.e. compiler, linker, editor, assemblers, etc. I then added some rudimentary IRQ support for the native mode 65802 before passing off control to the ProDOS operating system. I did not do this all by myself; I had lots of help from others on the internet and some friends with IIgs's that I met at school.

I eventually lost interest due in part to the demise of the Apple IIgs, lack of overall interest in what I had accomplished except for a few people and other personal reasons I won't get into. I thought I could make money selling 65802's and providing the modified HyperC system and documentation for free; I sold maybe 2 or 3 65802's after a few months advertising in an apple II magazine. So my "company" Hybrid Concepts had a short life span but I never forgot the thrill of getting a project to actually work. So, I guess I'm back to it, firing up the ol' Laser 128EX and getting into the hardware aspect of the 65816.

Enough for now...

Regards,
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:57 pm 

Great to hear your story, and welcome!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:31 pm 

Thank you BigEd,

Regards,
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:47 pm 

Welcome, Andy :) If you presently had 65802's available for sale I think you'd find some customers right here on this forum!

I hope you'll tell us more about HyperC, regarding which you just now mentioned both interpretation and compilation -- and, in an email yesterday, also a degree of resemblance to Forth! Sounds intriguing, and, judging from the name, related in some way to the C language?? (Best to start a new thread, though. This one is for introductions.)

cheers,
Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:11 pm 

Hi Jeff,

For others interested in HyperC for the Apple II (it could possibly be ported to other platforms) see: ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II ... c/hyper_c/
My modifications worked on the IIgs also but only in bank 0. I didn't have a IIgs to experiment with other aspects. The resemblance to forth as I understand it is that there was the machine hardware return stack of 256 bytes in $1ff page but the software stack was 16 bits wide for c parameter words. There were pseudo=-ops for a virtual 16 bit machine in an 8 bit computer and an interpreter that would walk thru the code one pseudo-op at a time. Entry into the interpreter was thru the BRK instruction. The pseudo-machine 16 bit registers were in zero page.

I do still have a handful of 65802's that I came across while rummaging in my closet for setting up the Laser 128EX again. I was thinking of putting them up for auction on ebay just for giggles.

Regards,
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:27 pm 

Hi Andy

Welcome to the forums! :)

If you do decide to sell your 65802s I'd be interested in buying one if you're in the UK (PM me if yes to both).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:04 pm 

Hello All
Thought I would join the forum after spotting one of my projects mentioned on the programmable logic section of the forum. A 65C02 which I did for my own projects. It was also used in the acorn coprocessor project on stardot forum

Alan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 46  Next