6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introduce yourself
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:59 pm 

Oh, I know of people trained & working in electrical industries who still dropped dead on the job. Usually correlated with how cocky they are. You're not going to impress electrons.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:01 pm 

(Feels to me we've gone rather off-topic from the Introduce Yourself. Maybe that's enough?)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:50 pm 

Hi all!

This is Daniel, from Spain. My very first computer was a Vic-20 when I was.... well. it was at my home before I was born, so you get the idea.

I coded my first program in assembler when I was 10 I think, and we used a Commodore in my home until I was 16 when we finally switched to a PC.

Since then, my interest in retro-computing has been somehow intermittent, but it never faded out completely. Last year, I finally gave in and bought a C64.

I really love the simplicity of these old processors, I feel utterly amazed with all the projects people do, and, been a bit of an electronics geek myself, I wanted to build something.

So here I am, reading tons and tons of material... because the project I'm starting, it cloning one of the old MOS chips, our good friend MOS6526. Just for fun, so... you'll be hearing from me a lot :)

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:55 pm 

Sounds like we can hope to see some good things from you - welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:06 am 

Hello everyone!

I'm Davide from Italy. I'm an aerospace engineer. I've studied rudimentary electronics during college and I've been programming in the field of flight simulators for the past years using mostly C++.
A while back I decided to learn more about computer architectures and stumbled on the 6502 forum. I got quite interested also thanks to the excellent documentation that can be found here. I have been fiddling with simple electronic projects, mostly with Arduino, but a couple of months ago I decided to start working with the 6502.
I have successfully built an EEPROM programmer which I used to assemble a bare bones breadboard 6502 computer. I got it to work using the Arduino to provide a variable clock signal, begugging the system by hooking a bunch of LEDs on the data and address buses. I use the Arduino to provide serial I/O using a 65c22 and I've started to learn the 6502 assembly code, writing a simple OS (memory dumping and editing, and program running).
I have to say, I'm really enjoying this and I am now hooked up to this new hobby, and it is all thanks to you!

My plan for the future is to transfer the system on a more stable wire wrap board, build clock generation circuit to run at higher speed, and provide some way to generate a simple video signal, so I am definitely going to ask a lot of questions around here!

Regards,
Davide

Attachments:
File comment: Testing the 6522 parallel output
Screenshot_2019-02-01-11-07-32-853_com.whatsapp.png
Screenshot_2019-02-01-11-07-32-853_com.whatsapp.png [ 559.86 KiB | Viewed 4341 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:23 am 

Welcome - lots of flashing lights - we like flashing lights! (Well I do, but who knows :)

Cheers,

-Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:24 am 

Welcome! Hope to hear more about your project - feel free to start a thread to log your progress (or indeed to ask questions.)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:51 pm 

Hello everyone!
I'm Przemysław from Poland. I'm programming since two years. About year ago my friend told me about arduino and then I became interested in electronics. A few months ago I decided to build simple computer and I found information about 6502. I think it is good thing to start with, because 6502's assembly is pretty simple. I ordered some stuff for computer just a week ago, so I will start building in a March (aliexpress very express). And also I found this site while searching for informations about 6502. I think I will stay here :D

Regards,
Przemek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:57 pm 

Welcome! Please feel free to start a thread for your development progress, or a thread for a question you might have. I hope you have great success!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:55 pm 

Przemykomo wrote:
Hello everyone!
I'm Przemysław from Poland. I'm programming since two years. About year ago my friend told me about arduino and then I became interested in electronics. A few months ago I decided to build simple computer and I found information about 6502. I think it is good thing to start with, because 6502's assembly is pretty simple. I ordered some stuff for computer just a week ago, so I will start building in a March (aliexpress very express). And also I found this site while searching for informations about 6502. I think I will stay here :D

Regards,
Przemek

Welcome!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:15 am 

Hello everyone!

I'm Frank from Germany. I have been lurking for a couple of weeks but now I can't resist saying hello to this community. Fantastic resource, many thanks!

In school I developed software for the Apple II, mainly in Turbo Pascal. I never made the leap to code directly for the 6502 because I felt I didn't have it in me. At the same time I had great respect for the wizards who were able to dive into games and pry the secrets from them. For example, one of the pupils I met regularly in the computer room changed the sprites from Bandits (a Invaders-like shooter) into the face of one of our teachers - - I still get goosebumps when I think about it :)

For many years I had been thinking that _someday_ I should try to do exactly that: take a Apple II game I loved to play and look under the hood and understand it thoroughly. And that's exactly what I'm doing right now: burrowing into Robotron 2084 (one of my Apple II favorites), at the same time learning 6502, the specifics of Apple II hardware, as well as 8bit game design - - I don't understand any of this yet. The goal is to reverse engineer the game into an annoted disassembly file.

Robotron is a well-researched game, with 6502 source code available for the original Williams Arcade platform, as well as for the Atari7800. At a later point in the project I can use those sources to get a better understanding about data layout and game mechanics. I hope that especially the Atari version will be helpful as the splash screen of the Robotron on the Apple II shows Atari as the game developer. Still, I suspect that the value of having those sources will probably come only later in the project.

I am well aware that it is a hugely ambitious project. It is probably impossible for me to arrive at a complete understanding of the game, so I aim for having a good idea about execution flow, level design and sprite info. For this I use a Python-based Apple II emulator which links into an Excel workbench, with full state save/load, breakpoints, watches, disassembler etc. The first versions of my emulator have been focused on understanding the 6502, particularly getting a grip on JSR/RTS and charting execution flow. The next step will be implementing hooks for LD. and ST. to collect read/write info for the 64k memory locations. This should give me a first idea about which subroutines write to e.g. the hires display.

It's only a couple of days into the project so I have not yet progressed with my analysis past the intro screen. For a newbie the 6502 is not particulary easy to read, but it feels like I could grow really fond of the 6502. I am looking forward to the challenges.

I also have some first ideas about static code analysis. This would be an area which is not Apple II specific - - any advice for reverse engineering disassembled 6502 is very welcome, also any pointers to which part of this forum I should address my questions to.

Again, thank you so much to all who have been working on this website and all those who have added content. Awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:25 am 

fschuhi wrote:
Hello everyone!

I'm Frank from Germany...

Welcome!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:53 am 

A great journey to embark on Frank - welcome! Threads in the Programming part of the forum are probably the best fit. Search the forum for wfdis and see if that helps you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:47 pm 

Disassembly & reverse engineering is my happy place. :)

I think the Nostalgia subforum would be best for you to create a new Robotron reverse engineering thread, or you can just ask specific questions in the WFDis thread if you want to use that for static analysis. Though WFDis currently only has platform specifics for the C64 (but can do plain 6502 as well), I can help you get Apple II stuff going in it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:05 pm 

(BTW, don't worry too much about which sub-forum you use - it's easy for a post to be moved, and I think most of us see all the posts anyway.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 46  Next