6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introduce yourself
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:56 am 

I remember somebody saying that if you want to write a novel and make sure you actually get it done, go out and tell people that you're writing a novel, and they will put enough pressure on you. So I've decided to blog my attempts at building my first computer at http://uebersquirrel.blogspot.de/ . Updates will be infrequent (I, ah, should be painting the bedroom right now), and I've turned off comments on the blog itself because of time problems, but I'll be linking them on Google+.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:30 pm 

scotws wrote:
I remember somebody saying that if you want to write a novel and make sure you actually get it done, go out and tell people that you're writing a novel, and they will put enough pressure on you. So I've decided to blog my attempts at building my first computer at http://uebersquirrel.blogspot.de/ . Updates will be infrequent (I, ah, should be painting the bedroom right now), and I've turned off comments on the blog itself because of time problems, but I'll be linking them on Google+.

The "Übersquirrel?" :lol: I didn't realize that squirrels could be so extreme. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:04 am 

Well, I suppose this is a good idea... seems most everyone out here are what my son would refer to as an "old fart", and he turns 27 this year. So yes, I'm no exception on that one.
I started wielding a soldering iron at the age of 5 (half a century now). My Dad worked at a place in NJ called EAI, they made analogue computers using vacuum tubes (yes, back in the late 50's. He also had a great workbench setup... multiple plug-in soldering stations, tons of parts (vacuum tubes of course), and some hand-built test equipment. He eventually left EAI after running one of their production lines and joined IBM.

So I started out in electronics at an early age.. audio as well as my Dad built his own audio system from scratch when I was in diapers. I was mesmerized watching the blue haze bounce about in the 807 output tubes to the music and was hooked on learning about this stuff. Cut my teeth on a 1958 ARRL Radio Amateurs Handbook, which I still have to this day, along with an ancient Sylvania tube manual... still have that as well. Before my teen years I was building all kinds of audio gear using tubes and also got started in solid-state gear. At age 16 I got a job at a small high-end (at the time) audio shop that had a small recording studio in the back off from the repair shop. The owner was an engineer at Bell Labs in Holmdel, NJ. The repair shop was amazingly well equipped including a General Radio frequency plotter (remember the toilet-paper freq response printouts from old audio mag reviews), lots of HP test gear and even a distortion analyzer... and this was back in the early 70's. I learned a lot and in 2 years was also re-working the Tascam console adding additional features to it and doing some design work and PCB layout for custom court recorders the company was building. I was also heavy into music (still am) and grew up playing classical trumpet from an early age. I still design and build all custom vacuum-tube equipment and still play vinyl, trumpet too. Current audio system is mostly custom and likely costs more than what most people would spend on a luxury car.

I eventually left the audio place on good terms (still good friends with the owner's son) and joined IBM... been there for 36 years now. Have worked in the field on computer hardware (really old stuff with punch cards, 80 column and 96 column, real core storage and huge disc drives that took minutes to come ready and stored less than a diskette). I got interested in the 6502 in 1982 and bought a Vic-20... and later a C64. I still have both and they still work... along with an original 1541 and a 1581 drive... all are still operational. Both the Vic and 64 are heavily socketed with many HCT logic chips are inside, including a Rockwell 65C02 in the Vic. I taught myself assembler on the Vic starting with their machine language monitor cartridge. Later on with the C64 I got Commodore's Macro Assembler package and eventually wrote a decent command processor which was resident in the autostart block and had the typical array of DOS commands like DIR, TYPE, REN, DEL, FORMAT, etc. and relocated the debug monitor as well. On the Vic I designed and built some hardware bits.... memory cards and some expansion boards... one which contained a 6551 Async controller with 1488/1489 level convertors, a MM58167 RTclock, 8KB of RAM at autostart block and a 1KB RAM at one of the I/O selects. I used this for the Xmit/Rcv buffer on the 6551 code (IRQ driven) and eventually designed and built a diskette controller based on the WD2797 and used the SO line for DRQ (yea, had to modify the Vic board a bit). I wrote a full BIOS for the diskette controller (handled 4 drives) and the 6551... as well as the 6522 for driving a parallel port printer (Commodore printers were junk). I still have all of this stuff and it still works! I later picked up the CP/M cartridge and rewrote the entire BIOS for it as the original code was amazingly slow... and later did a build that would run under my C64DOS code. I also wrote lots of code to manage the HW sprites, made software sprites and animation routines as well. Had some fun multiplexing the sprites with the raster interrupt and eventually had 64 banded HW sprites on screen.

After starting a small computer club at the branch office, I transferred to Boca to provide support for the PC. I handled HW and operating systems, which was DOS at the time (yes, did OS/2 as well). I also learned 8088/8086 assembler and can actually claim to have written the very first hard disk cloning software when we announced ESDI drives... all done in assembler on the PC and used internally for many years... and with some customers as well. Called Packcopy, it was OS agnostic as it was a full sector level copy program and was eventually used for early preloading of machines in manufacturing.

I sorta dropped off the Commodore/6502 scene for a number of years (I have more PC hardware than an average museum) and also did 2 decades of international travel including living in Germany for awhile on assignment. Having raised 3 kids (all college degrees, the oldest just got her PhD in biological research) and a full time high travel job, I had little time for fun. Now that I'm not traveling as much internationally, and being single again (my choice), I've resurrected some hobbies, the 6502 being one of them lately. I started designing a small 65C02 board back in the late 80's, but never finished it. So I decided to do just that end of last year.

I now have a small PCB done with a 65C02, 32KB RAM, 32KB ROM with clocking, memory and I/O decode and 8-I/O selects. I designed a matching I/O board with a 6551 and 65C22 and modified the SyMon code to run on it as a test, it works and is currently running at 4MHz (6551 is the limiting factor mostly). I'm planning on writing my own code complete and some additional HW boards for additional I/O like an IDE port, A/D - D/A, realtime clock and likely some video adapter.

As I have many hobbies that span many decades and technologies, my userid is floobydust. It's origins going back to a greek word meaning "a mixed bag" and was the last section in National Semiconductor's Audio Handbook from the 70's... seemed fitting ;-) Other hobbies include mechanical work, cycling, cooking, wood working to some extent and a bit of car racing (I have a small lift in my garage to make mechanic life easier). Anyway, quite an interesting find on this forum and all of the 6502 activity, even after 2+ decades... who knew.

Regards, KM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:47 am 

I used to be more of and audio enthusiast too years ago, but I was more into the art of putting speakers together with Dynaudio, Focal & Morel drivers I got from Madisound. I favor D'Appolito configuration. But I did build a 250Watt solid state stereo amp from scratch using a toroid transformer and HUGE bypass cap's (I customized the linear power supply section). I used a schematic I got from an audio magazine, even etched my own board. But it eventually burnt up after a few tests because it had thermal runaway. What an obsession... until the hum. :cry:
Anyway, nice history and welcome!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:05 am 

Quote:
my userid is floobydust. It's origins going back to a greek word meaning "a mixed bag" and was the last section in National Semiconductor's Audio Handbook from the 70's...
I recognized the reference to National's Audio Handbook instantly! I built one of the electronic crossovers from that chapter. Never knew about the Greek origin of the word "floobydust," though.

Welcome! :D

Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:15 am 

Great writeup KM - welcome!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:26 am 

Ooh! Don't feel quite as old knowing that someone else got started back when living room heaters (tubes) were king. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:13 am 

Hi All,

Thanks for the kind welcome.

Electric Eye - Madisound... have done a fair amount of biz with them over the years, quite a bit of the Fostex drivers. I also did some solid state audio gear back in the 70's. Eventually went back to tubes across the board early 80's. Of course, my DACs are solid state, nothing else would make sense, but the rest of the playback is all tubes.

Dr. Jefyll - you must have missed it, listed on the second page of the Table of Contents, below Section 7.0. But yes, what a classic book... great stuff which you can adapt to fill your needs. I have an ancient Signetics Linear handbook as well, great content and more 555 timer uses than you can imagine.

BigEd - search on Atma-Sphere OTL amps... with 30+ tubes, it will heat your barn in winter. But yes, still have hundreds of tubes in my stock.

Been poking around the forum, lots of great info and links, great find.

Regards, KM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:58 am 

floobydust wrote:
But yes, still have hundreds of tubes in my stock.

Got any NOS 6L6GCs in there, preferably RCA black-plate units? :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:28 am 

http://circlotron.tripod.com/ - lovely!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:35 pm 

Ah, NOS tubes.... pretty much everything I have is: 6L6GC (RCA, GE, Sylvania), EL34, KT-88 (real ones), 6550 (coke-bottle Tung-Sol), 5881, GZ34, 5V4G/GA, 45, 2A3, WE300B, etc. plus lots of smaller signal tubes, 12A*7 types, commercial types like 5751, 5814, 6072 and 6FQ7, 12BH7, etc. Rectifiers, gas regulators and the list goes one. Remember... when you're old, you've had more time to collect more stuff.

Circlotron... of course. Also a DIYAudio member ;-) Sadly, I've not done a single audio project this year, but that will change.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:20 pm 

Ah, some of those you listed would work fine in a guitar tube amplifier.. :)

-Tor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:40 pm 

Tor wrote:
Ah, some of those you listed would work fine in a guitar tube amplifier.. :)

-Tor

Yeppers. I build tube powered instrument amps as a sub-business here (build the heads and someone else assembles to create the completed amp).

Last edited by BigDumbDinosaur on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:49 pm 

floobydust wrote:
Ah, NOS tubes.... pretty much everything I have is: 6L6GC (RCA, GE, Sylvania), EL34, KT-88 (real ones), 6550 (coke-bottle Tung-Sol), 5881, GZ34, 5V4G/GA, 45, 2A3, WE300B, etc. plus lots of smaller signal tubes, 12A*7 types, commercial types like 5751, 5814, 6072 and 6FQ7, 12BH7, etc. Rectifiers, gas regulators and the list goes one. Remember... when you're old, you've had more time to collect more stuff.

Circlotron... of course. Also a DIYAudio member ;-) Sadly, I've not done a single audio project this year, but that will change.

Would you care to part with some 6L6GCs? I just installed my last pair into my (1960s era) Ampeg bass amp. I could also use some 6SL7s, which are used in the Ampeg's input and phase inverter stages. Metal 6SL7s would be the cat's meow, but I'd be amazed if any still exist. :)

A near-term project will be to rebuild the Ampeg with new metal film resistors and electrolytics. With one exception, all of those parts are the originals. I had to replace a noisy resistor at the grid of one of the input stages—the resistor was developing some hiss.

BTW, I have three NOS GE 8417s here. They were popular in top-of-the-line hi-fi amps back in the day and were good for an easy 100 watts RMS. I'm slowly working on a bass amp design that would use them in a circuit that includes a regulated screen supply to get maximum output with minimum THD.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:41 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
floobydust wrote:

Would you care to part with some 6L6GCs? I just installed my last pair into my (1960s era) Ampeg bass amp. I could also use some 6SL7s, which are used in the Ampeg's input and phase inverter stages. Metal 6SL7s would be the cat's meow, but I'd be amazed if any still exist. :)

A near-term project will be to rebuild the Ampeg with new metal film resistors and electrolytics. With one exception, all of those parts are the originals. I had to replace a noisy resistor at the grid of one of the input stages—the resistor was developing some hiss.

BTW, I have three NOS GE 8417s here. They were popular in top-of-the-line hi-fi amps back in the day and were good for an easy 100 watts RMS. I'm slowly working on a bass amp design that would use them in a circuit that includes a regulated screen supply to get maximum output with minimum THD.

BDD,

Hmm, you do want to the good stuff... and you know there's not much out there anymore, sad but true. I only have a few pairs of 6L6GC tubes, one set of RCA, GE and SYL... not looking to sell them (I have a nice Les Paul Custom in mint... and some other amp projects on the shelves). However, I did check a few other sources and they're just expensive, especially the RCA black plate (you should see prices on RCA/Cunningham 2A3 single plate triodes). Here's what I found:

http://www.thetubecenter.com/vacuumtube ... 6zy5g.html

http://www.kcanostubes.com/catalog/5

http://www.vacuumtubes.net/RES%20Audio%20pages/6l6.html

Back in the latter 80's there was a guy over on the west coat of Florida (Dick Gross) who ran D&C electronics. Best selection and prices I ever got on vintage pristine NOS tubes in the original boxes and he would match on a Tek tracer. At the time I paid around $55 per Jan NOS Tung-Sol 6550 and $85 for original MOV KT-88 with the Genelex labels and GoldLion scroll with character. I thought I was insane for paying these prices back then... I called to buy some after some thought (less than a week) and he was out.

Hopefully you can find some to your liking. My younger brother has had decent luck with the new manufacture (Russian made) Tung-Sol 6550 in coke bottle glass (not quite as nice as the original shape). But then again, his are stationary, not bounced about.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 46  Next