6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introduce yourself
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:37 am 

Hi there :-)

My name is Darron, I am getting on a bit now and first started computing
on a VIC=20 in the distant past.

It's been quite some time since I even thought about a 6502 processor
but I have been finishing off yet another simulator first started in 1989!

So, I have been lurking here a bit, using the 6502 test suite and getting
the basic interpreter up and running.

I am not really sure if I can contribute anything new here to be honest
but thought I would say hello at least.

Bye-bye :-)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:41 am 

Welcome unclouded and nroff-man!
Great intro unclouded, looking forward to see your SBC adventures as they unfold.
Likewise Darron, your simulator, assuming you'll publish it - but good luck either way.
Cheers, Ed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:10 pm 

John Gooch wrote:
A fairly well known quote is "I can teach a man to sail, I can't teach him why" shows how a reason why to study the 6502 could help.

I usually don't reply to introductions, but your little quote tickled my fancy, and it seemed like your introduction was being overlooked by the others. Perhaps a small amount of discomfort over multiple religious references? I'm agnostic, and hold no pre-conceived notions of from where my next inspiration will come, so I appreciate anything (on topic) that you wish to contribute.

Welcome, John, and best wishes.

Mike B.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:33 pm 

Tor wrote:
Well, 'scarpered' is British.. (great expression, I'm used to see it from British English books that I read. The word originally came from Italian, probably).

I dimly recall "scarpered" from English lit classes long, long ago—the word was in something I was reading at the time. It took some time to figure out what it meant, as none of the dictionaries at my disposal in those days had the word. The online version of Merriam-Webster has a definition for it.

"Scarpered" is in the same vein as "skeedadled," a word which any good old boy from Texas would understand. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:44 pm 

Good point Mike: welcome to John too!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:48 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
I dimly recall "scarpered" from English lit classes long, long ago—the word was in something I was reading at the time. It took some time to figure out what it meant, as none of the dictionaries at my disposal in those days had the word. The online version of Merriam-Webster has a definition for it.
I learned English by reading books, and I never used a dictionary - I find that the best way to learn is by associtation and understanding, otherwise I seem to be unable to remember words. "Scarpered" (actually just "scarper" was the first variant I came across) was pretty obvious the first time I ran into it.
Quote:
"Scarpered" is in the same vein as "skeedadled," a word which any good old boy from Texas would understand. :lol:
"Skeedadled" is one I have never come across though. But usually such expressions are easy to figure out from the context, if there is a context.. without, it'll be quite difficult.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:03 pm 

hi there folks, though i'd present myself a bit...

So, my name is ben, i'm from belgium & i'm a Commodore fan. My experience with computer started at 7 year old for Christmas with a C=64, i still have several Commodore computers laying around the house, oh and i had a little infidelity with an Apple //c too.

My 6502 & 6502 variants working computers include:

1 C=64C
+ 1 C64 Spare working motherboard (PAL) + C= 1541 IEC drive + Turbo Chameleon 64 + Datel Eprommer 64
1 C= Executive SX-64
+ 64NIC+ ethernet cartridge
2 C=128 (PAL) both vdc upgraded to 64k, option rom BASIC8 in one/KeyDOS option rom in the other...
but sadly only one power suply for both :(
+ C= 1571 IEC drive & C= 1581 IEC drive + C= 1764 upgraded to a 1750
1 C=PLUS4 (NTSC)
1 almost working Azerty european Apple //c
Go into basic but won't boot dos and don't bootstrap correctly with adtpro, still looking for what's wrong with it.
1 working Apple //c US version
1 Arduino UNO emulating a 6502 with ehbasic with 1031 Bytes free for the basic WOOT!

and thats about it for now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:08 pm 

Welcome ben, and thanks for the intro!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:18 pm 

magicaros wrote:
hi there folks, though i'd present myself a bit...

Welcome to our 6502 world.

Quote:
...i still have several Commodore computers laying around the house, oh and i had a little infidelity with an Apple //c too.

Infidelity? :lol: Just a moment of misguided weakness. :P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:33 pm 

Hi guys

It’s been noticed that, although I’ve been hanging around here lately, I haven’t actually posted in this thread and so introduced myself. So… here goes.

My first introduction to the 6502 was at school (in the UK) with BBC Micro model Bs back in the '80s. I learned to program Basic and eventually assembly language on these and I loved the machines so much that I ended up swapping my then newish Atari ST 520FM for an old BBC Model B+ 64K. My parents were not amused, but oddly didn’t say so until 20+ years later and by that time had forgiven me :). They said that they eventually saw that I got far more out of my Beeb in interest and education, etc. than I ever got out of the Atari (and I’m not saying that the Atari ST was bad – just not as good as the BBCMicro :wink:).
I eventually moved on to the Commodore Amiga 500 for which I have a fond memories and then eventually on to PCs.

My career has never involved electronics, mostly being based in CAD (anyone remember AutoCAD 10? :D), running ATEs (6 years of wasted life! :roll: ) and eventually PC and Server tech support (have you turned it off and back on again to AD authorative restores).
However, I’ve always wanted to try my hand at digital electronics and, thanks to the good folks on forums such as these, have realised that finally – which I never thought I would.
I’m now working on my second 6502 build and still learning more and more every day – even if at a hobbyist level. I’m hoping to diverge slightly to the Z80 (yeah ,yeah, I know :P) and the a (1MHz!) 6809 that I’ve recently ordered - but only briefly as I’ve still got some 65C816 chips which I need to learn to use 8) :) .
I'm also planning to use the, albiet limited, skills that I've picked up to help with my other hobby of collecting and restoring old 8 and 16 bit retro computers.

Anyhoo, now that half the audience have lapsed in to boredom-induced comas, I’ll sign off :).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:57 pm 

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I have been looking around here for something like 10 years. I have built some smaller 6502 based projects and also Atari ST related stuff (I did a 3d graphic accelerator a few years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzXxsK9Lg5E)

I have always wanted to make my own "real" computer, but it seems to take a long time since there are always other stuff that comes in the way so it's not going so fast. I wanted to make something that had real graphic output to an television so the main goal with the project is to make an advanced graphic card and have some 65xx based computer controlling it. I have made several versions during the years but now I am more or less finished with the "final" design and got a graphic card that outputs data in several different resolutions (max is 768x480) in 256 colors and has sprite support and hardware scrolling. It connects very easily to a 65xx based bus (I have tested it against the c64 expansion port), so now it's almost time to tackle the rest of the computer design :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:03 pm 

zamuel_a wrote:
I have built some smaller 6502 based projects and also Atari ST related stuff (I did a 3d graphic accelerator a few years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzXxsK9Lg5E)

Hey! That thing works pretty good. Nice job!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:42 am 

Quote:
Hey! That thing works pretty good. Nice job!

Yes and it would open up new possibilities for creating stuff on the Atari (or other old computers to). The only problem is that it needs someone to write the games and that will probably not happen so I had planned to make it commercial, but if you bought it, you don't have anything to run on it, so that is an issue :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:41 pm 

Why is it that I never know what to write on one of these indroduction threads, stares at screen a little longer, I guess that's why I usually avoid them.

Started with a VIC-20 many moons ago, learned 6502 assembly, moved onto the C64, then strayed over to the Amiga and learned 68000 assembly.
At some later point I acquired a sym-1, which I must get around to reparing.

I've dabbled a bit with programable logic, but not to the point of building my own CPU core, though I have a few ideas running around in my head that I'll test at some point.
Hardware based graphics is something else that I find interesting, though I'm sure I've only ever touched the surface of that field.

Hmmm, enough typing, that's me, for now :)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:27 am 

Welcome! A bit of personal background like that is just the thing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 46  Next