6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46
 Post subject: Re: Introduce yourself
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:57 am 

Hello everyone,

I live in The Netherlands and i'm 43 years old.

I was born in 1980 around the time some 6502 based computers came to marked. I did experience some of those 6502 based machines like the Commodore 64 and the NES but mostly for playing games on them. I was about 10 years old when my parents bought a Commodore 64 my father used it for his study at the time. Me and my brothers played a lot of games on it this sparked my interest for computers.

I wanted to develop games back then but as a 10 year old I was more interested in playing games and doing other things then in coding. When I needed to choose what I wanted to do after primary school I wanted to get into IT but my parents talked me out of it because I did not have good grades at school. They thought it wasn't a good career choice either because they thought a career in IT was only for the smartest people. I did not really know what to choose so I ended up in the army and later become a gardener for a while. When I was about 25 years I got into web design and web development as a hobby and when I was 30 years old I wanted to follow my passion so I went back to school to become a software engineer. And that is what I'm doing now for about 14 years.

My first lines of code where on the Commodore 64. I can't really remember what it was that I coded back then but I think it must have been a simple hello world program in Commodore Basic. I dit not code anything after that until I started coding when I was about 25.

As a software engineer I'm interested in everything about how computers work so I first started to learn programming but I also really wanted to know how a computer really works. At school we learned programming and how to create software but not how hardware works only on an abstract level. After some years working as a software engineer I really wanted to figure out how computers work and then I found Ben Eaters excellent video's. That is when I started playing around with electronics. I already had a Raspberry Pi and then bought some Arduino's to play around with Ben Eaters video's on networking between two Arduino's. Later I followed his video's on the breadboard computer and finally on his 6502 based computer.

Now I want to build my own 6502 based computer. I have this crazy idea to build a computer like the early days with an integrated keyboard, controller ports and some sort of video output. It will be quite a challenge as i'm just an electronics hobbyist. I already have most of the parts but I need to figure out how to make it all work and that is why I'm here.

As it will take some time to build my 'dream machine' I wanted have something to play with in the mean time and gain some experience programming in 6502 assembly. So I bought an W65C265SXB SBC (I know it is not a real 6502 computer but I should be able to use 6502 emulation mode). While playing with the W65C265SXB also brought up some questions so you will here from me on that as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:59 am 

Welcome! And thanks for sharing your story.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:56 pm 

BigEd wrote:
Welcome! And thanks for sharing your story.

Thank you BigEd

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46