6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: 65xx Bulk Order
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hello All,

6502.org will be doing its second "bulk order" for 65xx chips from the Western Design Center. WDC sells brand new chips in DIP and PLCC package that run at speeds in excess of 10 MHz without problems.

6502.org organized the original bulk order (and now this one) as a not-for-profit effort to help enthusiasts purchase chips they would not ordinarily be able to because of WDC's minimum order policy. The original bulk order resulted in roughly a thousand dollars (USD) being ordered by 6502.org users and distributed all over the world.

The following chips will be available:

W65C02S (65C02 Microprocessor, PDIP or PLCC)
W65C22S (65C22 Versatile Interface Adapter (VIA), PDIP or PLCC)
W65C816S (65C816 Microprocessor, PDIP or PLCC)

W65C134S (65C134 Microcontroller, PLCC only)
W65C265S (65C265 Microcontroller, PLCC only)

Unlike last time, WDC is not providing advanced pricing information for us. I must first tell them the approximate quantities to get the pricing information. I expect the pricing to be comparable to the last order; with the 65C02, 65C22, and 65C816 under USD$5 each. The microcontroller versions could run up to around USD$13. Packaging and shipping costs to your destination will be determined later.

The speed ratings of the chips will also be quoted by WDC at that time. I expect them to be the same as last time; most chips rated for 10 MHz.

Here is how I'm going to run the order:

1. E-mail your request to order@6502.org and specify the chips you are interested in, along with your shipping address.

2. When we feel we've reached a sufficient quantity, I'll e-mail WDC and get the pricing information. Expect numbers in the range of what I've noted above.

3. I'll e-mail you back to confirm your order with your total, including packaging and shipping costs. I'll then provide you with my mailing address to send the payment as a check or money order.

4. Once all of the order payments have been received, I'll place the order with WDC.

5. When all of the chips arrive, I will distribute them to all of the participants.

Get your order in as soon as possible (order@6502.org). I will be posting regular updates here in the forum with the number of participants and expected chip quantities.

Best Regards,
Mike

Last edited by Mike Naberezny on Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Bulk Order Update
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:59 am 
Site Admin

Hi All,

As of today (8 Dec 2002), approximately one week has passed since starting the bulk order. Here are the totals so far:

65C02 (DIP) - Qty. 31
65C02 (PLCC) - Qty. 1
65C22 (DIP) - Qty. 39
65C22 (PLCC) - Qty. 2
65C816 (DIP) - Qty. 8
65C816 (PLCC) - Qty. 3
65C134 (PLCC) - Qty. 1

Grand Total: 85 Chips

If anyone in France is interested in participating in the bulk order, Fabrice Frances (Fabrice.Frances@ensica.fr) is organizing a French subgroup to save on shipping costs.

I have been sending e-mail confirmation to all who have sent an order. If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail within four days, please e-mail me again. Thanks.

Best Regards,
Mike

Post subject: Bulk order
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 7:30 pm 

Will the Western Digital 65C02 drop
into a Apple IIe without any problems?

Post subject: Re: Bulk order
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 7:51 pm 

dan wrote:
Will the Western Digital 65C02 drop
into a Apple IIe without any problems?

Western Digital? Don't you mean Western Design Center? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:22 am 

This WDC stands for Western Design Center. Check out www.westerndesigncenter.com .

WDC's W65C02S uses two pins that were "NC" on other 6502's. Pin 5 is ML\ (memory lock) output. The Apple does not connect this pin, which is fine. ML\ is for deferring bus arbitration of the next bus cycle in read-modify-write instructions to maintain integrity of instructions like INC abs. It's mainly for multi-processor systems. Leaving it not connected is fine.

Next, WDC's part has a BE (bus-enable) input on pin 36. If this is brought low, the internal bus buffers are disabled, allowing something else to control the buses. BE needs to be held high, but the datasheet seems to be saying there is a very weak internal pull-up resistor on it, so it should work even left disconnected. If you have any trouble, you could solder a 10K resistor from pin 36 to pin 8 (the +5V).

The one pin that is really different is pin 1. On older ones, it was a ground pin, but WDC made theirs a VP\ (vector pull) output. This output goes low to indicate that a vector location is being addressed during an interrupt sequence. Since it's not an open-drain output, I suppose it's possible you could damage the part if you just plug it into a socket whose pin 1 is grounded. Even if you don't damage it, it would take a lot of extra current. The easy way to take care of it when you put the part in the Apple II is just to clip that lead off or straighten it out so it does not go into the socket hole.

For cleaner high-speed operation, I wish they had put VP on pin 36 instead, so the second ground pin could be retained. Pin 36 on older 6502's is a NC. Especially since the DIP now has only one ground pin and it's not in the middle near the die, they're probably pushing the maximum speed attainable in this package. If they make it any faster, they may have to stop putting it in a DIP and just do the PLCC and QFP.

And finally-- WDC's part might normally be too fast to put in such a big board without even a ground plane. The fast rise and fall times might get you into trouble with the longer connections acting more like antennas and unterminated transmission lines. Not to worry though-- the Apple II has buffers between the processor and everything else, and you're not changing those buffers, so I don't expect any problems.

My expectation is that if you keep pin 1 from making connection, you can go ahead and put WDC's 65c02 in your Apple and not encounter any problems.

By the way, if you write your own programs and are stepping up from the NMOS 6502, you will now have some new instructions and addressing modes to enjoy, and the NMOS bugs gone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:34 pm 

Is The Bulk Order Still Accepting Requests?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

dlowry wrote:
Is The Bulk Order Still Accepting Requests?

No. However, I will accept your order. Please e-mail it to orders@6502.org immediately.

The 6502.org Bulk Order is now closed and was a great success. Thanks to the following people who participated:

Allen Bong, Stephen Brooks, Frank Bufton, Scott Chidester, Jeremy Cooke, Nick Coplin, Joachim Deboy, Tony Harris, Rex Jolliff, Tom Miller, Richard Murchie, Thomas Myers, Leo Nechaev, Philip Pemberton, Daryl Rictor, Riccardo Rubini, Frank Schuster, Paul Shubel, Krystian Sergiejew, Duncan Smith, Erik Van den Broeck, Garth Wilson, and finally Fabrice Frances and his French sub-group.

If you are not on this list but contacted me regarding an order, please e-mail me immediately.

On Monday, January 27th, I will be submitting our totals to the Western
Design Center for a quotation. When I receive the pricing I will the
begin the process of contacting each of you individually with your total
(including shipping). After all of the payments have been received, I
will place the order with WDC. Your chips will be mailed within one week
after I receive them from WDC. I will keep everyone updated through
e-mail.

Thanks again for your participation.

Regards,
Mike Naberezny

Post subject: When???
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:09 pm 

Have you submitted the final order to WDC?
When do you think that you will receive them?
When will my chips be mailed to me?
How long will it take from there?
How long do I have to wait to get my dual 6502 system started?

Post subject: Re: When???
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:53 am 
Site Admin

slimey_limey wrote:
Have you submitted the final order to WDC?
When do you think that you will receive them?
When will my chips be mailed to me?
How long will it take from there?

Hello,

All of the bulk order participants that have paid have been receiving updates. If you purchased chips but are not receiving these e-mails, contact orders@6502.org immediately.

If you requested chips but have not paid, another opportunity to order chips will come again shortly.

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:28 pm 

i'd interested to order a 65C816, but when the next bulk order will start again ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 3:22 am 
Site Admin

bluespot wrote:
i'd interested to order a 65C816, but when the next bulk order will start again ?

Hi,

I bought some overstock of each chip during the last order. Anyone can e-mail orders@6502.org and if I have the chips I'll be happy to supply them to you (non-profit).

Regards,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:38 am 

I'm urgently looking for 1000 pieces of 65c02 and 65c22. I've tried emailing WD but no response from 'em yet. Who (or where) else can I find such large quantities of these ICs, or, alternatively, does someone have an email address for WD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:00 am 

Kenny wrote:
I'm urgently looking for 1000 pieces of 65c02 and 65c22. I've tried emailing WD but no response from 'em yet. Who (or where) else can I find such large quantities of these ICs, or, alternatively, does someone have an email address for WD?

When dealing with production quantities of chips, it's better to call them, not e-mail them. That is a lot of money to be trusting Outlook and Microsoft Exchange with, especially when your message is probably buried in a ton of other e-mails that they no doubt receive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:20 pm 

Hello Kenny,

Try Vanguard Electronics. I have not used them but
I bet they have the quantities you need. I don't have their
URL, but GooGle should find them easily.

Good Luck, Wally

Kenny wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:03 pm 

Kenny wrote:

Kenny,

Have you contacted Mike? He announced a while back that WDC has made him a distributor...so he might be able to get the quantities you need at a very good price!

Daryl