6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Family Emergency
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:10 am 

On January 28th, my wife was involved in a motor vehicle crash while going to work. Her injuries were life-threatening, mostly due to head trauma and a fracture neck vertebra. She also suffered a pelvic fracture on the left side and her right wrist has multiple fractures. Thanks to some expert ER doctors, she survived and is now recovering. Surgery has repaired her right wrist but it's much too soon to tell if she'll regain the full use of her right hand. She is still in the hospital at this time undergoing rehabilitation but is getting to the point where she will soon be able to come home.

Once she's back home a lot of my time will be consumed in caring for her. We will have someone in during the day to continue her therapy, but it'll be my responsibility to bathe and dress her, as well as cook and clean (which I do very well, according to her). As she is barely able to walk, I will have to assist her into the bathroom, etc. Needless to say, my presence around here while she is recovering will be very limited, but I'll try to keep up with what is going on on the forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:02 am 

more important priorities, man. Prayers from out here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:59 pm 

That is truly horrible BDD. I hope and pray you both have the strength to overcome the challenges ahead. Best wishes for your wife's speedy recovery at home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:37 pm 

Ouch, BDD. That sucks -- I don't even know what to say in response to that except the obvious get-wells and prayers. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:48 pm 

That's awful BDD. Wishing you strength and hoping for a speedy recovery.

Post subject: Re: Family Emergency
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:38 pm 

BDD, that's horrible news. I wish you both all the best and a speedy recovery for your wife!

Post subject: Family emergency
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:22 am 

Thanks for all the kind words.

We spent Valentine's Day at the hospital, which wasn't what I had planned, but it was much better than the alternative. Since my wife has gotten fed up (so to speak) with hospital food, I went to the local Boston Market and brought back rotisserie chicken and brisket of beef for dinner. I also spirited in a small bottle of wine in so she would feel a bit like we were dining out. The nurse gave me a mean look when she saw the glass full of wine but knew better than to say anythng. :)

Post subject: Re: Family Emergency
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:34 am 

Driving a motorbike my self, I know how vulnerable one is. I wish you and your wife all the best!

/ /  |_/     Groetjes, Ruud
  \ \__|_\
   \___|       URL: www.baltissen.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:23 am 

Sorry to hear such bad news. I wish you all the best and your wife a fast and full recovery.

BYTE! BYTE! BYTE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:01 pm 

thank you for sharing your...news.
i'm just half a planet far from you, but if you need something feel free to write me, also in mp.
i'm really sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:37 pm 

on the bright side, she will recover and you were both able to share a special Valentine's day together with a bottle of wine. So there are blessings among it all...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:14 pm 

I'm sorry to hear about this but I'm glad that things will improve. The important thing is family comes first and this is your time to show her your love and take care of her.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:38 pm 

Keeps us posted. Best wishes for a recovery.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:16 am 

Things are getting better. My wife is home from the hospital, although it may not seem that way to her right now. She has to sleep in a powered hospital bed, and when not in bed, mostly stay in a wheelchair. Her ability to take care of herself is significantly limited, but she has been undergoing twice-a-week therapy and is making some progress. The bones in her smashed wrist appear to knitting and she may be able to start taking off the splint for short periods of time.

The two big problems are her very limited walking ability and inability to do anything with her right hand. Any kind of finger motion is painful and she cannot grip anything. Time will tell on that, but at least she's back home with me and not rotting in a hospital. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:41 am 

It has now been 2-1/2 months since my wife was injured in a vehicle crash. She was released from the hospital after 18 days and has had to put up with my running the household ever since. She is finally able to walk some distance unaided--slowly--and finally got the "horse collar" off her neck. She still has to wear one when traveling, though.

Her right hand, as I feared, is not healing. She was subjected to a neuropathy test earlier this week and it was discovered that a bundle of nerves coming from the right side of her neck and down into her shoulder has been damaged, most likely from the neck fracture. There is nothing the doctors can do about it except reassure her that the damage is minor.

Also, the ulna in her injured right arm has been stubborn about staying where it's supposed to be, causing her hand to be displaced relative to her arm. This will require more surgery, which is planned in about two weeks. The doctor is cautiously optimistic that the surgery will be successful but now thinks that she will not recover 100 percent function.

What's heartening is that she is now able to bathe and dress with minimal assistance and can do most activities like before, as long as she doesn't need her right hand. My sister-in-law and I took her out to dinner tonight for her birthday and had a little cake for her and all that--along with some wine, of course. :) No nurse was present this time to glare at us.