6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:27 am 

Yes you can disable it but on XP and newer it re-enables it later anyway. Plus I don't have admin to I would have to have the helldesk do it anyway and they would probably just want to re-image it since thats about all they do for a ticket :)

Visual studio takes gobs of ram (Well its actually MSSQL Studio) then we have to use IE because of scarepoint and outlook, antivirus, all that crap.

If you have to run windows do it in a VM under Linux. Since linux will use all of ram before swapping you install windows and make a dedicated partition for the swap file then cache it into ram so windows thinks it swapping but in reality it isn't. I used to be able to make windows faster under linux than on the hardware that way :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:57 am 

(Dan Luu has posted another instalment in his series of posts about latency:
https://danluu.com/input-lag/
)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:27 pm 

The utter perversity of the TI-99/4A outperforming anything by any metric is rather breathtaking.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:10 pm 

Along these lines, I have fond memories of the Amstrad NC200 I used in school. Say what you like about Amstrad, but their dedicated-purpose word-processor-class computers were exceptionally well-designed.

The display was a 480x256 letterbox of a monochrome passive-matrix LCD, but it was not only instant-on and instant-load, but would instantly switch between any of the built-in applications using a two-key shortcut. And the batteries would literally last weeks as long as you kept the backlight off and didn't use the floppy drive. Just try finding a modern laptop that can match that.

I also have distinct memories of the family RiscPC feeling distinctly "hard" in its response to command-prompt input. In that mode, the OS looked a great deal like a 30MHz, 32-bit, RISC version of a BBC Micro - and not just on the surface, either. The fact that the graphics hardware supported hardware scrolling (just set the addresses of scanout start, wraparound trigger and wraparound target in the appropriate registers) undoubtedly helped. You can run RiscOS on a Raspberry Pi too, but that uses software scrolling, so you don't quite get the same effect despite the further increased theoretical performance.

I'm pretty sure the VC4 can be made to do hardware scrolling, BTW. Even if it doesn't support wraparound in the same way as old RAMDACs did, you can give it two overlays to display either side of the wrap point. But I don't think the current version of RiscOS bothers to do that.

As for keyboard hardware latency - it's actually quite straightforward to achieve *microsecond* matrix scan delays for single keypresses, and you could probably do that with straightforward modifications to most of the PC keyboard hardware out there today. The process is:

• 1: Set the row and column drivers to impedance pull-down with input sensing. Wait for all the row and column inputs to register as low.
  • 2: Set the row drivers to hard pull-up. Wait for at least one column input to register as high, signifying key has been pressed. (Note: no active scanning required while quiescent - potentially very low power consumption here.)
  • 3: Set the row and column drivers to impedance pull-up with input sensing. Wait for the row inputs (only) to register all high.
  • 4: For each column that was registered high, set its driver (alone) to hard pull-down, and wait one microsecond for at least one row input to go low, indicating unambiguously a pressed key. Register these keys in the debounce table. When the microsecond timer expires, go back to step 3 *if* there are more active columns to scan.
  • 5: Set the row and column drivers to impedance pull-down. Process the debounce table and notify the host of any relevant key-down events.
  • 6: If any keys were apparently released, set an interrupt timer to the debounce delay. If that timer fires and the key is still released, notify the host of key-up event at that time. (Key-up is less perceptually relevant for latency than key-down.)
  • 7: Go back to Step 1.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:45 pm 

Related, here's a contest where he measured the time required to boot up and use the word processor to print a file on a modern MacBook Pro and a Commodore 64 running GEOS. The Mac won, but not by a wide margin. When he changed to draft-mode printing, the C64 won.
Is a new Mac slower than a Commodore 64? Old vs New https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI3C9yLVsVE

FWIW, the super long (like 15 seconds) lag in keyboard response by my browser which I mentioned earlier—which again, was not from disc-swapping, as the hard-disc light was off—is a problem I have not seen in quite some time. Apparently updates to the software fixed whatever bugs were causing that.