6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:29 pm 

This does seem to be one of those things where people have already made up their minds and are sticking to what they believe. (Including me, of course.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:45 pm 

anomie wrote:
Not that I know or can claim much about the actual effects and what levels are needed, etc - just that any people who actually did experience significant cognitive decline, or other deleterious effect, due to lead exposure would pretty probably not be here to counteract the “we did this and we’re all fine” side of it.

Ironically, the authorities who have stated that lead exposure in any amount is deleterious are in the same boat as you (and me).  How would they know that without having been sufficiently exposed to lead to cause them physiological problems?  :D

Bottom line, of course, is to use a modicum of common sense when working with substances that have to potential to cause harm.  I think the science on lead exposure is fairly clear.  However, when politics gets involved, truth is usually a casualty.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:08 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Ironically, the authorities who have stated that lead exposure in any amount is deleterious are in the same boat as you (and me).  How would they know that without having been sufficiently exposed to lead to cause them physiological problems?

Ideally, through studies of people that have reached particular exposure levels against control groups who haven’t.

Although I’m interested in who these authorities who have stated “lead exposure in any amount is deleterious” actually are. Even in California, the prop 65 regulations (see 27 CCR § 25705) define lead as “Posing No Significant Risk” at an exposure level of lower than 15 micrograms orally per day. Maybe that limit is too low, I don’t claim to know - but I can claim thats certainly a higher exposure level than “any amount”.

As far as I can tell the current state is something along the lines of “companies doing risk analysis judge that slapping a sticker on at pennies-or-less per unit will cost less long term than proving in court whether or not the product contains any of the chemicals on the list and at exactly what level; especially given the list will change and presumably so will the regulations declaring levels”.

Edit: I now find myself wondering how that 15 microgram limit was codified and whether or not it’s at all related to the EPA limit for lead in drinking water being 15 micrograms/liter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:30 pm 

sburrow wrote:
I sometimes use 'tubes' of lead solder and stick the tube in my mouth.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ch ... 8BhQ%3D%3D

I haven't done that in a while though, I normally find other ways now-a-days. What I need to get is some sticky-tack or play-dough, I've seen some folks use those on repair videos to hold things in just the right spot.

One thing that I sometimes find useful is to coil the solder around my finger a few times - tight enough that it stays put, but not enough to cut off my circulation - with 5-10cm protruding beyond the end of my finger. The solder becomes an extension of my finger, and I can control that bit of solder quite accurately without needing to grip it between two fingers - leaving more fingers free for holding the board, supporting components on the back, etc. Of course it's only good for one or two joints, but it's enough to get the component fixed into place.

I also use a rubber thimble to protect my fingers a bit from the heat when supporting components that are being soldered, as I am oversensitive to heat.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:43 pm 

gfoot wrote:
sburrow wrote:
I sometimes use 'tubes' of lead solder and stick the tube in my mouth.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ch ... 8BhQ%3D%3D

I haven't done that in a while though, I normally find other ways now-a-days. What I need to get is some sticky-tack or play-dough, I've seen some folks use those on repair videos to hold things in just the right spot.

One thing that I sometimes find useful is to coil the solder around my finger a few times - tight enough that it stays put, but not enough to cut off my circulation - with 5-10cm protruding beyond the end of my finger. The solder becomes an extension of my finger, and I can control that bit of solder quite accurately without needing to grip it between two fingers - leaving more fingers free for holding the board, supporting components on the back, etc. Of course it's only good for one or two joints, but it's enough to get the component fixed into place.

I also use a rubber thimble to protect my fingers a bit from the heat when supporting components that are being soldered, as I am oversensitive to heat.

Maybe look at some BigClive videos on YouTube - for smaller boards he can hold the board and solder in the same hand with the iron in the other...

I did a video many years back showing soldering up one of a little project board I did for the Raspberry Pi that I sold at the time - the video got more views than I expected - it's an overly long/rambling video, but here is a cut to the chase:

https://youtu.be/K5zrgEDsxSQ?t=1278

my secret weapon/third hand is blue tack ...

-Gordon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:18 pm 

gfoot wrote:

You should learn to play the upright bass, like Jeff and me.  :D  After a while, the calluses on some of your fingers will get to where you might not be able to tell when you’ve bumped them with the soldering iron tip...at least until the “aroma” of burning skin reaches your nostrils.  :shock:  :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:42 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
You should learn to play the upright bass, like Jeff and me.  :D  After a while, the calluses on some of your fingers will get to where you might not be able to tell when you’ve bumped them with the soldering iron tip...at least until the “aroma” of burning skin reaches your nostrils.  :shock:  :lol:[/color]

I did try the guitar at one point, but not enough for it to stop being painful both on the fingertips and on the joints, having to maintain such awkward hand shapes!

I've always thought the double bass is a lovely instrument though, if you have enough space to keep it!