6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:54 pm 

Paganini wrote:
barnacle wrote:
my Master's dissertation was on how to ensure words that don't exist are correctly spelt (!).
Spelt is a grain.

(U.S. reader / writer over here! Did you do that on purpose?) :D

https://writerwithacause.wordpress.com/ ... l-checker/

-Gordon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:26 pm 

Chad,
English is not my native language so writings are always challenging. However, I have consistently observed products that sold well always have good documentations and supports so technical writings may be unpleasant, but necessary. Since I don't like to write anymore than necessary, I found a "feedback driven" approach to documentation worked well. The idea is initially wrote a basic product home page with bare essentials: introduction, product photos, theory of operation, schematic, bill of materials, photoplot files, engineering changes, system software, and example software. Then sell a few boards at cost but notify buyers that documentation feedback are particularly welcome (sometimes I gave boards away just to get feedback in return). Then add more documentations as driven by user feedback. I have designed about 50 boards and created 50 associated homepages in retrobrewcomputers.org and they are all created using such method. Most are documented with bare essentials but some are pretty well developed because of numerous user feedback.
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:29 pm 

Paganini wrote:
(U.S. reader / writer over here! Did you do that on purpose?) :D

Spelt? Over here they call it Dinkel! :mrgreen:

(It has an excellent taste but I find it doesn't rise well for my sourdough starter. I'll learn...)

To be honest, I spell it both ways though I prefer the older 'spelt'. My thesis advisor insisted on it, so that's what he got.

Neil

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:21 pm 

barnacle wrote:
To be honest, I spell it both ways though I prefer the older 'spelt'.

That reminds me of ‘burnt’ vs. ‘burned’. You don’t see the former much used in North American English.¹

Noah Webster’s spelling simplifications apparently had a bit of political bias to them. During the 19th century, there was a push among some American academics to rid the language of foreign loan words and spelling, as well as some Old/Middle English and Celtic spellings that were deemed not sufficiently phonetic. That led to, among other things, the colour → color change, as well as plough (Celtic) becoming plow. Also, in the railroad community of the time, the word ‘depot’ was abhorred by some due to it being a French loan word. The word ‘station’ was promoted as a replacement for where one goes to meet a train. That backfired when it was determined that ‘station’ was also (indirectly) a French loan word. :D

————————————————————
¹Despite spelling differences, Canadian and American English seem to have merged in many ways. My Canadian acquaintances routinely use American phrases and forms, and Canadian phrases and forms have long been a part of my written and spoken speech. It’s getting so I now have a hard time determining if someone is American or Canadian. :D Eh, hoser? :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:25 am 

Yes, it's an older verb form that has gradually been normalised over time.

English is a curious language because it's made up of three or four major influences a thousand or more years ago: Old English, Germanic, French, and Scandinavian roots are the main ingredients. But each of those languages had their own grammar; English jumbled it all together and knocked the rough edges off. It didn't have a common spelling until perhaps the sixteenth century or later, and it wasn't really standardised until the printed newspapers began in the nineteenth.

It's also been suggested that some of the spelling oddities arose from early scribes copying manuscripts by hand and simply deciding that they liked the look of a word a particular way; also that the influence of French after the Norman invasion of 1066 introduced a lot of non-native words. Certainly there was a class distinction in language: if you spoke French you were definitely upper class and if you spoke English you weren't. That's still there in some of the food we eat: we get pork (French) from a pig (English) or a swine (German); beef (French) comes from a cow (English).

And that mixture is also why English pronunciation is inconstant: cough, though, chough, plough, thorough, hiccough and a handful of others all use the same 'ough' spelling but are pronounced differently, probably because the original words are from different languages.

It's complicated, but there are only about million words in English so it's not too hard to learn... (e.g. why does the possessive case use an apostrophe before the final s in every case except 'its'? I dunno!)

Neil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:54 am 

sburrow wrote:
I need someone who likes writing, someone who would partner with me to get something out there, and perhaps make some money while doing it. Is that person you?

In general, people who are good at writing code are not as good at writing manuals.

At a previous job, we were treated (subjected?) to a short course on technical writing in an effort to improve documentation. It apparently did not work as they ended up hiring a technical writer to interview each programmer about their areas of the system before writing the document. Still, I learned enough to be dangerous...

I consider myself to be a passable writer who never really developed a smooth style. I mostly write something resembling a manual when I want or need others to be able to use my project. Other times is when I am reverse engineering something complicated so I create a functional specification to develop to.

I am not stepping forward unless I get very excited about your project or you are able to pay pretty good money.

In today's world, many people cannot be made to read a manual. Sometimes a video showing step-by-step instructions is more helpful getting them started, then some kind of a technical reference document for when they get stuck on details. I have a face for radio and a voice for newsprint, so I will not be making any of the videos you often find online. However, I am exploring the possibility of some kind of text-to-voice which does not sound too robotic along with captioning to add to a step-by-step video.

Some documents I have released into the wild include:

https://github.com/TheLab-ms/tap/blob/m ... echRef.pdf

The TAP is a self-contained 8 by 8 array of RBG LEDs. Driven by an MSP430 microcontroller, it is capable of running a long time on a single button cell. It was a collaborative effort at a makerspace hoping to develop something to be sold as a fundraiser. I wrote much of the firmware as well as this manual.

https://github.com/BillGee1/COMPY65/blo ... r/PY65.PDF

I have been working on a Python compiler. Python is an interpreted language which excels at clarity and ease of learning. But the interpreter is too large to be used on the smallest of systems. At the time, I was dabbling with Arduinos and learning Python. "Arduino is popular" and "Python is popular" so why can we not program an Arduino in Python? I reasoned that if a program is compiled and linked to only the run-time code it needed, it can fit on many small platforms. The AVR 328P powering the most common Arduino has 32KB of program space but only 2KB of RAM. I feared that 2 KB would not be enough. Because the makerspace had a Commodore 128 on display at the time which I could use, I chose to target the 6502 first. This was the initial demo release.

https://github.com/BillGee1/P-6502/blob ... CIDATA.PDF

LUCIDATA Pascal is a P-code compiler system available for some microprocessors including the Motorola 680x and the Zilog Z80. I have versions for the 680x and thought that if I could write the run-time package for the 6502, the compiler comes along for free. This manual is the result of reverse engineering the run-time of the 6800 FLEX compiler.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:10 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Neil, what differences have you noticed in written British versus US English, besides spellings?

Words sometimes have differing meanings.

Many come from the automotive world:

boot vs trunk
bonnet vs hood
petrol vs gasoline or just gas
lorry vs truck

others include:

wireless vs radio
flat vs apartment
flat vs dead (battery)

and the most famous one of all, shag!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:41 am 

For me the most shocking one is “fag”, Brit for cigarettes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:54 am 

“Pants” is the pants.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:40 pm 

BillG wrote:
and the most famous one of all, shag!

The Common Cormorant or shag
Lays eggs inside a paper bag.
The reason you will see no doubt
It is to keep the lightning out.
But what these unobservant birds
Have never noticed is that herds
Of wandering bears may come with buns
And steal the bags to hold the crumbs.

// Christopher Isherwood

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:05 pm 

barnacle wrote:
e.g. why does the possessive case use an apostrophe before the final s in every case except 'its'? I dunno!
I dunno either. But FWIW its is not quite the only example.

belonging to it --> its
    belonging to her --> hers
    belonging to him --> his

Uh... :roll: well, OK, I guess that last one should really be hims! :P

-- Jeff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:44 pm 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
Uh... :roll: well, OK, I guess that last one should really be hims! :P

Eh? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:08 pm 

barnacle wrote:
It's complicated, but there are only about million words in English so it's not too hard to learn... (e.g. why does the possessive case use an apostrophe before the final s in every case except 'its'? I dunno!)

English’s inconsistencies and strange idioms remind me of an old story about what immigrants who are not native English speakers go through when settling in a country that is predominately English-speaking.

A young immigrant, “Ľudovít,” with limited English abilities, has just gotten off a plane from Slovakia that had landed at New York’s Kennedy Airport. Following the instructions given to him to get to where he will be staying, Ľudovít gets on one of New York’s ubiquitous buses. It’s a warm, pleasant day, the bus’ windows are all open and Ľudovít is leaning out the window, enjoying the sights, especially of the scantily-clad, young ladies on the sidewalk.

Suddenly, the bus driver realizes the bus is going to come very close to a light pole, so he yells “Look out!” to Ľudovít. Ľudovít promptly leans even farther out the window and gets smacked in the head by the light pole, knocking him to the floor.

The driver quickly stops the bus, and he and several others rush to Ľudovít’s aid. Ľudovít gasps a couple of times, shakes his head in bewilderment and then exclaims, “You crazy Americans! When you say ‘look out’, you mean ‘look in’.”

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:51 am 

"Look out, from in!"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:53 am 

BillG wrote:
In today's world, many people cannot be made to read a manual.

It's a chicken-and-egg situation.  I haven't seen a decent manual written in the last few decades.  Since they're all so poor, people have been conditioned to think manuals aren't worth reading.  Since people don't read them, companies don't want to go to the expense of writing a good one...and the situation spirals on itself.

Chad and I had the following conversation offline, and he gave me permission to post it here.

Quote:
sburrow wrote:
I want to ask you: How do you write your "lessons" so well?  Your website in particular, all of the Primer pages, everything you write is compact but easy to read, is instructional but to all levels, is fun to read but still informative, is pure gold.

How do you do it?  What strategies could I use to do something similar?  Do you have a mental checklist or guide that you follow?  Procedures to making a good tutorial?

It's a very subjective matter, which is partly what makes it so difficult.  I'll see what I can do here.

I write down things as I think of them, terribly out of order, and then edit.  If something comes to mind but I don't take a jiffy to write it down because I'm not at that part yet, later I'll be thinking, "Now what was it I was supposed to say about this?  I can't remember!"  So I often stop in the middle of a phrase and write a couple of words below it to remind me to get back to something I need to address.  It's like the thought buzzes the tower and then it's gone in a second, so I have to write it down immediately.  If I think "Let me finish this sentence first," well, guess what happens.

This kind of thing would be very difficult to do in the days before we all had computers; but I did hear decades ago that when [a prolific write we both knew] wrote books, he'd write stuff out, and use scissors to cut it up and organize it on the floor, and tape things together in the desired order, get another thought and cut a section to insert it in between, etc..  It's so much easier now.

Then, keep in mind that everyone has so much material to read today that they'll quickly move on if you waste words on things that aren't important.  That applies to the big stuff and the small alike.  Regarding the big stuff, I told someone years ago that his material would be more inviting if it didn't start like a book with the title page, the copyright page, the dedication page, the acknowledgements page, the foreword, the disclaimer of warranty, the preface, the table of contents, before getting to the introduction.  You'll lose the reader before you get to first base.  (I haven't looked recently to see if he remedied that.)  Get to the meat.  At the opposite end of the scale, the smaller stuff might include individual words that aren't necessary, like "I broke my [right] arm" if it's not important to the reader which arm it was.  Other times I find that I've gone to some detail about something that seemed important to me but won't be to the reader, so I delete it, in spite of all the time I spent on it, so the reader doesn't inadvertently also skip the more-relevant stuff.

Any place that things might be easier to read and digest as a bulleted or numbered list, go ahead and use one.

On anything that's not super urgent, I like to "let it ripen," ie, set it aside and come back to it hours or even days later and see if a fresh pair of eyes finds what I intended.  Often this will alert me to a part that could be misunderstood, or that something assumes a background I forgot to lay, or some other little thing that needs fixing.  It might also expose where I got tunnel-visioned.

At http://wilsonminesco.com/6502primer/PgmWrite.html, I used bold face to make phrases stand out, which might help navigate a page better where taking the space for big headings might make it too choppy.

After all of that, I sometimes still find, even years later, that something needs improvement, which is one of the reasons the 6502 primer (and other features on the site) frequently get edited.  Things I read on the forum alert me to the need.  I could say "He just needs to read it more carefully!"—which may be true, but there's probably also room for improvement in the way I said it.

I've practiced these things in stuff I write for work, too.  It takes time, but it may waste more time later if I don't take the time now.  For example, poorly written user manuals or installation manuals will result in more needed phone support and frustrated customers.  When I was regularly writing manuals, I tried to pattern them off the manuals HP included with their calculators and hand-held computers of around 1980-85.  You'd get a new calculator or computer, read through the manual from front to back, and at the end, feel like you know the machine pretty well, without ever having gotten to "the hard part"—because there was no hard part.

Quote:
I ask this because Rebecca [Chad's wife] has tasked me with making a user manual for the Acolyte computer and my latest video card.  Here is what I have on the Acolyte so far:

[gave link, but it's no longer there]

I do not like it.  Something about it just does not seem... right.  I can't put my finger on it.

Also, I really do not like doing these things.  I hate commenting my code so making a full document about commentary is probably even worse for me.  I just don't have the motivation like I usually have when I'm creating something new.

Then I told of someone on the forum who really knows his stuff but his code never has comments, and for someone who hasn't followed the development process, it can be very difficult to tell what's going on, especially with a type of formatting that's not conducive to readability.  Name withheld to protect the guilty.  :lol:

Quote:
In the debugging page of the primer, I wrote, "I sometimes catch bugs when further commenting code that's already working but not exhaustively tested yet.  I comment as if trying to explain it to someone else who hasn't been following my train of thought on it.  (If I come back to change it a year later, I'll need the comments anyway.)  As a result of this madness, no user has ever found a software bug in any product or automated test equipment I programmed."

Quote:
Rebecca has often said, "You are teacher, so just write it like you are teaching!"  But that doesn't help at all, I don't know why.

It might be partly that students in a classroom have to listen to what you say, in the order you say it, without the option to skip around, see what's coming, etc., options which they will definitely exercise when reading.  Also, when reading, they can't interrupt you to ask for clarification on something.

Quote:
Any suggestions?  Tips and tricks and helpful hits?  Is there some prototype or guidelines that I should follow?  Any comments would be very helpful.

The reader's unsettling feeling of unfamiliarity will be a continual enemy.  Get ahead of it.  Cut it off at the pass.  Defeat it.  You may lose the reader if the writing fails to give a feeling of a definite direction.

In grade school, we were taught to start a new paragraph about every four sentences.  I have no idea where that came from.  True, on the one hand, writing a whole page as a single paragraph repels the reader, and OTOH, I've gotten a lot of junk mail where each paragraph was a single short sentence, or not even a valid sentence, making it too choppy, and making me want to toss it.  I try to keep reasonable lengths, starting a new paragraph where the thought changes somewhat, not just because the current paragraph reaches a certain length.

Even reading is taught incorrectly in grade school, IMO.  You have to read something, and, "Pay attention, because you'll have to answer questions on it later!"  In real life however, we usually start with the questions and then scan something to see if there might be anything relevant to the questions, something to slow down for, and if there doesn't seem to be, we move on.  One of the first things I do every morning is to scan the forums.  On the forums I don't have any responsibility on, I'll click on the sections that say they have new posts, scan the titles, and maybe click "Back" and then think, "I went so quickly I don't even remember what's there;" but then as if speaking to the writers, I say "You're going to have to get my attention faster than that."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next