6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:06 am 

Snial wrote:
The 65T2.

A while back as a thought exercise I worked on a high-level language friendly 6502 alternative I called the 65T2.

[b]65T2...

Sorry, but the 65C816 does all of this and much more elegantly. Best of all, it's already in production and can be run at speeds up to 20 MHz (6T cores).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:21 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Sorry, but the 65C816 does all of this....

Really? Looking at the four objectives he listed for the 65T2, it seems to me that the 65C816 might fail (perhaps dramatically) on one of them: "equivalent MOS transistor and resource budget as a 6502 (or 65C02)." Is the 65C816 that parsimonious a chip? (I am no expert, but I find it difficult to see how it would be.)

Though now that I re-read that objective, it occurs to me that at least some, if not all, of the 65C02s might have been significantly larger than the original NMOS chips.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:33 am 

cjs wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Sorry, but the 65C816 does all of this....

Really? Looking at the four objectives he listed for the 65T2, it seems to me that the 65C816 might fail (perhaps dramatically) on one of them: "equivalent MOS transistor and resource budget as a 6502 (or 65C02)." Is the 65C816 that parsimonious a chip? (I am no expert, but I find it difficult to see how it would be.)

Though now that I re-read that objective, it occurs to me that at least some, if not all, of the 65C02s might have been significantly larger than the original NMOS chips.

Yes, the 65c02 has over 10,000 transistors IIRC, about three times the number that the NMOS 6502 has. The last time I used the decimal mode however was decades ago, which jibes with the fact that Snial is proposing eliminating it, a step which may increase performance of the remaining capabilities and free up a status-register flag position.

In nearly every case, my '816 Forth primitives are shorter that Snial's 65T2 examples, even though mine is indirect-threaded and his is direct-threaded. (Also, my '816 Forth is generally two to three times the speed of my '02 Forth at a given clock rate.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:53 am 

I'd suggest it might be good to have a new thread about 65T2. Snial's substantial post brought several things into play:
- the objectives, which should forestall any spurious mention of '816
- a historical perspective, which might help, or might distract from the technical proposal
- a new assembly syntax, which might in fact be a distinct and separable line of thought
- the programmer's model and instruction set: which is surely the most interesting thing (bearing in mind the objectives)

Of course, a historical perspective can be very helpful indeed. And of course, the '816 is an interesting effort, just as the 6809 is.

But - for me - it would be very interesting to look into the 65T2 specifically
- is it feasible, or has anything been overlooked
- what is it like to program
- how well does it serve as a target for C
- what other strengths and weaknesses might it have

If two or three people are sufficiently interested, or if snial is sufficiently energetic and motivated, the machine could make that crucial step from a paper exercise to an implementation project, which in my view is always good to see.

There will always be those who don't get it - it's necessary to forge ahead, and see what positive interest can be picked up. The negative interest has to be inspected for value and not taken to heart.

(The same points apply, of course, to other paper designs: some fraction make their way to some sort of implementation.)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:39 pm 

Why can't I find a "thumbs up" for your post, Ed?

Mike B. (about me) (learning how to github)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:22 pm 

cjs wrote:
Looking at the four objectives he listed for the 65T2, it seems to me that the 65C816 might fail (perhaps dramatically) on one of them: "equivalent MOS transistor and resource budget as a 6502 (or 65C02)."

From my perspective, the number of transistors in the 65C816, or the 65C02 for that matter, is a distinctly secondary concern these days. Transistors are cheap. Even back in 1984, when the 65C816 was fresh off the drawing board, transistors were cheap. What wasn't cheap was the development time required to figure out how to achieve the desired level of function with a small transistor count. In 2020, development costs continue to override the cost of transistors, even with contemporary design tools. Ergo a modern design should be focused more on function and less on how many micron-sized transistors are in the finished product—unless achieving absolute rock-bottom power consumption is the primary goal.

In any case, trying to imitate the NMOS design at the transistor level smacks of agonizing over how to best mount the hand crank on a replica of a Model T Ford.

BigEd wrote:
I'd suggest it might be good to have a new thread about 65T2. Snial's substantial post brought several things into play:

I would not classify mention of the '816 in this context as "spurious." This is a 6502 forum and last I checked, the '816 is a member of the 6502 family. Plus the 65C816 is a good fit to a C compiler, which fit is being touted by Snial as a primary consideration in the 65T2. Furthermore, Snial's design is being proposed as a replacement for existing 6502-family members. Hence comparisons to 6502-family parts that are in current production and are in widespread use, both in commerce and hobby designs, are 100 percent appropriate.

Quote:
Of course, a historical perspective can be very helpful indeed. And of course, the '816 is an interesting effort, just as the 6809 is.

More to the point, the 65C816 is a member of the 6502 family and last time I checked, this forum is about the 6502 family. Therefore, the '816 is much more than just "an interesting effort."

Quote:
There will always be those who don't get it...

Yep! That's me, and likely a few others around here. I don't get the interest in a Frankenstein processor that breaks backward compatibility and focuses on being good at one thing (running compiled C programs). More to the point, I don't get people who come on to a 6502 forum and proceed to tell us about all of the supposed design faults in the 6502. That's like logging on to an Austin-Healey forum and telling everyone their favorite sports car is full of design errors, has a crappy engine and would be so much better if...

Quote:
- it's necessary to forge ahead, and see what positive interest can be picked up. The negative interest has to be inspected for value and not taken to heart.

(The same points apply, of course, to other paper designs: some fraction make their way to some sort of implementation.)

Looking at it from my perspective, Snial's proposed design, aside from breaking backward compatibility with its predecessors in several ways, has some spurious theories as its foundation. Lacking zero page, what I see is not a 6502-family processor, just something else that has an instruction set that resembles that of a 6502.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:40 pm 

BDD, we can all see exactly where you're coming from. It doesn't make you right. A crusade against - what - maybe 1% of posts - really doesn't leave you looking good, and it's not effective either. Just concentrate on the threads which you do find interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:17 pm 

Discussing the 65T2 is definitely on-topic here, as it is Snail's idea of a hypothetical C-friendly 6502. It does not need another thread—at least not yet, unless the OP expresses such a desire.

Everyone is free to make (or just dream up) a processor any way they like; but I would still encourage first looking into what's already available (mostly meaning the '816) and why it does things the way it does, and how those who have a lot of experience with it don't see it as being problematic the way newcomers do. There are just too many misconceptions about it.

Back on the matter of eliminating the decimal mode: Perhaps I missed it, but I don't remember ever seeing Arlet or anyone else give relative expected MHz numbers without versus with it, to see how much it impacts maximum performance for the remaining capabilities. Does anyone know of such a comparison?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:13 am 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
From my perspective, the number of transistors in the 65C816, or the 65C02 for that matter, is a distinctly secondary concern these days. Transistors are cheap....What wasn't cheap was the development time required to figure out how to achieve the desired level of function with a small transistor count. In 2020, development costs continue to override the cost of transistors, even with contemporary design tools.

Sure, but that's a particular hobbyist's perspective, and from a modern point of view, addressing today's concerns and ease of development, the 6502 in its entirety is a complete dead-end path that should be ignored in favour of modern small processor designs. Thinking about the 6502 at all is no more justifiable than thinking about redesigns of the 6502 using the same transistor count as the original NMOS chip. We're all just setting arbitrary limits and goals here for fun, not for efficiency.

Quote:
In any case, trying to imitate the NMOS design at the transistor level smacks of agonizing over how to best mount the hand crank on a replica of a Model T Ford.

Which sounds like a pretty valid historical investigation or hobby project to me!

BigEd wrote:
Snial's substantial post brought several things into play...

Well, perhaps we should start by remembering that the post in question itself discussed the '816. Even that aside, I'm with BDD here:

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
I would not classify mention of the '816 in this context as "spurious...." Plus the 65C816 is a good fit to a C compiler, which fit is being touted by Snial as a primary consideration in the 65T2.

Exactly. If one's examining the design of the 6502 and playing around with a redesign that should allegedly improve it for certain purposes, it makes perfect sense to look at how someone else did it and compare the two new designs. Since the '816 actually appears to meet several of the objectives of Snial's design, it's not only valid to ask, "what are the differences between the two and their effects," but one of the most interesting and educational questions. So I'm pleased to see it raised, though I wouldn't mind a bit more detail on the differences and a deeper investigation of their consequences.

It might also be worth remembering that too much focus on trying to corral discussions into their "correct" places and making sure that people aren't going "off-topic" can be more disruptive to a conversation than just letting it go where it goes. This isn't Wikipedia or a business meeting; especially on topics like this it's more a brainstoming session.

Quote:
Looking at it from my perspective, Snial's proposed design, aside from breaking backward compatibility with its predecessors in several ways, has some spurious theories as its foundation. Lacking zero page, what I see is not a 6502-family processor, just something else that has an instruction set that resembles that of a 6502.[/color]

While I agree that the foundational theories seem to have some issues that should be addressed, I suggest that the "zero page," narrowly defined, is not a thing that makes a 6502 a 6502. After all, the 6800 has a zero page as well. I propose that a core feature that gives 6502-nature is actually indirect indexed addressing through a pointer in RAM, which his design perserves, and is why his design is more like a 6502 than the 6800, despite his lacking a zero page and the 6800 having one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:49 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Everyone is free to make (or just dream up) a processor any way they like;

Back on the matter of eliminating the decimal mode: Perhaps I missed it, but I don't remember ever seeing Arlet or anyone else give relative expected MHz numbers without versus with it, to see how much it impacts maximum performance for the remaining capabilities. Does anyone know of such a comparison?
Since I got interested in electronics to build calculators, decimal mode is really useful to me. If we're dreaming up processors, I would definitely keep it in! An alternative is how the 8051 does it where decimal numbers are added the same as binary numbers but there's a separate decimal correct instruction. I suppose that could be faster than having a decimal mode. Even better would be to give decimal addition it's own instruction like the MSP430, but I might be the only person using it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:54 am 

Druzyek wrote:
Since I got interested in electronics to build calculators, decimal mode is really useful to me. If we're dreaming up processors, I would definitely keep it in!

Well, do keep in mind that you can just write your own code to do a decimal adjust, as well. Decimal mode or a decimal adjust instruction are just optimizations, and probably not particularly important ones when building a calculator used at human speed.

Quote:
An alternative is how the 8051 does it where decimal numbers are added the same as binary numbers but there's a separate decimal correct instruction. I suppose that could be faster than having a decimal mode.

That's how the 6800 and the 8080 did it, but that's slower than having a decimal mode becuase you need to execute the extra adjust instruction with every decimal operation. This is why the 6502 designers chose to have a decmal mode instead. Having a mode still introduces its own issues: in a program you need to keep track of which mode you're in (or push/pull the status flags to preserve the previous mode) and if you have a system that runs arbitrary code and takes interrupts, the interrupt handler needs to clear decimal mode if that would affect any of its operations.

For most purposes, I think it's perfectly reasonable to reduce or remove CPU support for decimal arithmetic if CPU resources are very tight.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:13 am 

cjs wrote:
...if you have a system that runs arbitrary code and takes interrupts, the interrupt handler needs to clear decimal mode if that would affect any of its operations.

That's only true with the NMOS parts.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:11 am 

load81 wrote:
The 6502 isn't exactly C friendly.

I dispute this premise. This premise seems to have been universally decided sometime around 1990, when C compilers weren't very wise. This premise continues, principally because cc65 is the most common C compiler available for the target nowadays, and for some reason people assume that cc65's limitations would be general to any C compiler.

Modern C compilers do a significantly better job of register management than the older compilers. This functionality maps well to letting a compiler manage the zero page of a 65xx processor, in order to keep the majority of active variables in zero page. Modern C compilers are also excellent at dead code elimination and link-time optimization, both of which will be critical for a 6502 target.

Quote:
To be efficient C needs a large stack that supports stack pointer relative addressing

Again, I dispute this premise. This is simply no longer the way that modern C compilers emit code. In practice, both gcc and llvm have near-optimal register allocation and management, and this would map at runtime to 65xx code that used zero page in a near-optimal fashion. In practice, a modern C compiler targeting the 6502, would spend little time accessing the C stack. In fact, with link-time optimization, many small C programs would maintain variables entirely in zero page, without using any stack whatsoever.

Anyway, the best disproof is an example of the opposite of the premise. I've had some mild initial successes with porting llvm to the 6502 -- the assembler and disassembler are now working well enough -- and I intend to continue that work until llvm-c can target the 65xx series. It'd be easier with some help, if anyone felt like joining in. https://github.com/johnwbyrd/llvm-mos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:01 am 

> I've had some mild initial successes with porting llvm to the 6502...

Excellent!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:34 pm 

cjs wrote:
...I suggest that the "zero page," narrowly defined, is not a thing that makes a 6502 a 6502. After all, the 6800 has a zero page as well. I propose that a core feature that gives 6502-nature is actually indirect indexed addressing through a pointer in RAM...

BTW, on re-reading Snial's original message, I see that he seems to have said this, though perhaps not in the clearest way, and I (and perhaps others) may have just gotten lost in the weeds with all the details flying about:

Snial wrote:
The insight is to realize that (a) zero-page addressing is actually a problem but that (b) indirect indexed addressing is actually a good thing.

The difficulty here that I (and I believe others) are falling into is that, as 6502 users, we tend to link the zero page and the indirect addressing modes that use it, though they are orthogonal, because on the 6502 indirect addressing must use the zero page (i.e., there is a (zp),Y addressing mode taking an 8-bit address, but no corresponding (addr),Y addresing mode that allows specifying a full 16-bit address). I see no reason offhand why one couldn't simply change all of the indexed mode opcodes to take a two byte address and thus do indirect through any memory location (though with an obvious reduction in efficiency).

What Snial's approach does is actually a double indirection: he changes the function of the current indirect addressing opcodes (which use an absolute address) to instead first indirect through the stack pointer to find a location, and then indirect again through the location itself. You might think of this as overloading the stack pointer to be also a "direct page" register, much like the 65816's DP register.

I wonder about both the performance of that (since now two additions are necessary rather than just one) and the removal of the ability to use absolute addresses (what does one do with global variables that are pointers?).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next