6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Where to buy 6502's?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:10 pm 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
His response was that the temperature cycling on the bond wires where they contact the die wasn't a problem.
What about where the bond wires connect to the lead frame, then? Seems to me I've heard thermal cycling cited in regard to some sort of internal problem for semiconductors, but I admit the recollection is vague. (I've also heard of entire chips working loose and unplugging themselves from their IC sockets due to thermal cycling, but dunno whether that's a myth.)

Quote:
I guess now they can do 4GB without having to store multiple bits in one cell.
Hmmm... and 4GB is no longer leading edge. Although you weren't explicit, I think you're implying that users of SD cards that are currently leading-edge are guinea pigs for whatever the newest process is. And that's plausible, given the dollars and the competitive forces at work. :|

Quote:
the only things that have gone out with time are 220uF 16V capacitors that had 6V on them all the time they were powered up but their charge voltage was steady, ie, didn't go up and down which I think would have made them last longer.
Can you elaborate on that? It's not the first time I've heard of capacitors being specified with a seemingly extreme safety margin for voltage. And yet, extreme as it seems, a 166% margin isn't adequate?!

resoundingly OT now, :D
Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:42 am 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
... (I've also heard of entire chips working loose and unplugging themselves from their IC sockets due to thermal cycling, but dunno whether that's a myth.) ...

I read that the original Apple 3 suffered from that problem, due to cramped geometry and barely-adequate cooling. I also recall reading somewhere that one of the approved field diagnostics for a malfunctioning Apple 3 was allegedly to lift it up a certain number of inches above its desk and drop it squarely back down before proceeding with further checks. I can't imagine that being very good for the internal floppy drive mechanicals, so I'm a bit skeptical of that one.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:10 am 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
(I've also heard of entire chips working loose and unplugging themselves from their IC sockets due to thermal cycling, but dunno whether that's a myth.)

Back when I did PC maintenance and there were socketed DIPs on any given board, one of the simpler things to do with a misbehaving part was to "crunch" it by placing it flat on some surface and pushing down on all of the DIPs. They'd shift slightly, make a wonderful crunching noise, and most of the time the board would start working correctly. I figure a combination of thermal cycling causing the chip to work its way slightly out of the socket, plus oxidation of the contact sufraces or something caused it to stop working, and the wiping action of pushing the chips back into the sockets a fraction of an inch caused the oxidation to break down and the chip to be seated more correctly. Motherboard cache memory or video card memory was a perennial favorite for this stuff, although just about anything socketed could be crunched back into the socket after a few years.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:44 am 

You would probably be a great chiropractor, nyef. Or, if not, at least you would enjoy being a mediocre one! ;-)

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:32 am 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
GARTHWILSON wrote:
His response was that the temperature cycling on the bond wires where they contact the die wasn't a problem.
What about where the bond wires connect to the lead frame, then? Seems to me I've heard thermal cycling cited in regard to some sort of internal problem for semiconductors, but I admit the recollection is vague.

If there's any problem with the bond wires at all, I'm sure it's on the end that goes to the die. At the VHF/UHF power transistor manufacturer, we used two kinds, gold and aluminum, and I talked every day to the women who worked the machines, as well as other engineers who had more contact with what was going on in the field, and I was not aware of any bond-wire problems we had outside of infant mortality. Part of the spot-checking on production lots was to actually pull bond wires off and see how much force it took to do it. There was a machine in one of the labs with a teensy hook that did this. In the past 20+ years of making high-end aircraft intercoms, we've only had one or two bondwire problems, and they were infant mortalities.

I'm on the Bicycling forum too, and it's amazing what myths get started and take hold. The early years of carbon-fiber frames had a lot of problems, but they were solved two decades ago, and short of a manufacturing defect, they are very tough and essentially don't fatigue like the metal ones do. In fact, I've heard from lots of riders in the 250-350-pound range on carbon fiber, all without any frame problems. But with all the rumors people believe about what will damage the carbon, I used to joke that we could start another one like that cell-phone radiation would damage it, so if you make a call, you should get away from the bike. Maybe there's something like that left over from the early years of ICs. I still have occasional contact with someone who used to manage a production line at Synertek. I'll ask him if he knows of any problems they might have ever had with bond wires.

Quote:
Quote:
I guess now they can do 4GB without having to store multiple bits in one cell.
Hmmm... and 4GB is no longer leading edge. Although you weren't explicit, I think you're implying that users of SD cards that are currently leading-edge are guinea pigs for whatever the newest process is. And that's plausible, given the dollars and the competitive forces at work. :|

Right. I don't know what the "leading edge" is today. Maybe 64GB? To some people, it's super important to be the first one in the office with some new thing. I'm not one of them. I'll give time for the bugs to get worked out, and to see if the new thing is even going to stick around. I'm glad I didn't get caught up in PCMCIA and zip discs and other things that lasted such short times.

Quote:
Quote:
the only things that have gone out with time are 220uF 16V capacitors that had 6V on them all the time they were powered up but their charge voltage was steady, ie, didn't go up and down which I think would have made them last longer.
Can you elaborate on that? It's not the first time I've heard of capacitors being specified with a seemingly extreme safety margin for voltage. And yet, extreme as it seems, a 166% margin isn't adequate?!

I have capacitor data books here, but they don't usually tell everything I would like to know. Capacitors' ratings are for so many volts and hours at certain temperatures though, and ripple current will affect it in many cases. Storage temperatures can affect the life too, and some of our customers' planes are parked on the tarmac in Phoenix cooking all day every day, too hot to touch most of the time.

In some linear applications especially, multilayer ceramic chip capacitors need to be derated even a lot more, not for life expectancy, but because their capacitance is reduced dramatically as you reach significant fractions of their WVDC, which can produce severe distortion. On those, I try to have the WVDC at least 5x the voltage that will normally be on the capacitor.

The socket problem is the only issue I've had with my workbench computer, and only twice in the 20 years since its original incarnation. All it took to fix them was to pry the ICs out just a tad (not the whole way out) and push them back in, for the self-cleaning effect of wiping the contacts. There probably would not have been any problem if I had used better sockets, instead of the cheapest tin-plated ones. I'm sure screw-machine ones with gold-plated contacts would have avoided the problems if I wanted to pay for them. This is the reason that military applications, especially combat ones, do not allow sockets. They need the higher reliability. In fact, they also don't want lead-free solder, for the same reason.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:52 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Right. I don't know what the "leading edge" is today. Maybe 64GB?
64GB SD (SDXC) is now in the common, reasonably priced cards section. Even for microSD. I have several, they work fine (one is now approaching two years of use). Leading edge would probably be the high-cost 256GB Lexar cards (probably made by Panasonic, and if they weren't so expensive I wouldn't have worried about buying one).

-Tor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:36 am 

I wrote:
Quote:
I still have occasional contact with someone who used to manage a production line at Synertek. I'll ask him if he knows of any problems they might have ever had with bond wires.

He says he was Materials Manager, so apparently bondwire reliability was not in his area of responsibility or knowledge.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:31 am 

barrym95838 wrote:
I also recall reading somewhere that one of the approved field diagnostics for a malfunctioning Apple 3 was allegedly to lift it up a certain number of inches above its desk and drop it squarely back down before proceeding with further checks. I can't imagine that being very good for the internal floppy drive mechanicals, so I'm a bit skeptical of that one.

That "repair technique" was taught in a VCR repair class I once took, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was real. People used that to unjam more mechanical devices, so if on occasion it fixed computers there was some precedent.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:45 pm 

Wow, this topic really has gone offtopic!

Sources of 6502 I have found the last years are pulls from old and free hobby computers and peripherals such as Apple IIs or Commodore disk drives. Often there is a lot broken but the 6502 is still alive. The 1541 Commodore drive contains a 6502 and several 6522's for example. I know, NMOS but still fun. I have foudn 65c02s and 65c22 also in these old machines.

C64 is also a nice source for a SID sound IC. People pay money for a broken C64 just in the hope the SID is still alive.

And there is always ebay, lots of 65(c)02, 6532, 65(c)22, 65(c)51etc to be found. Often pulls and cheap, and not all work ofcourse.

Hans

http://retro.hansotten.nl for nostalgic 6502 related articles
http://sales.hansotten.nl for the rest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:23 pm 

HansO wrote:
And there is always ebay, lots of 65(c)02, 6532, 65(c)22, 65(c)51etc to be found. Often pulls and cheap, and not all work ofcourse.

And woefully out of date in many cases.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:31 pm 

White Flame wrote:
barrym95838 wrote:
I also recall reading somewhere that one of the approved field diagnostics for a malfunctioning Apple 3 was allegedly to lift it up a certain number of inches above its desk and drop it squarely back down before proceeding with further checks. I can't imagine that being very good for the internal floppy drive mechanicals, so I'm a bit skeptical of that one.

That "repair technique" was taught in a VCR repair class I once took, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was real. People used that to unjam more mechanical devices, so if on occasion it fixed computers there was some precedent.

Seagate ST225 and ST251 5-1/4 inch half-height hard drives of long ago occasionally came down with a case of "sticktion," a condition in which the read/write heads would stick to the platters in the landing zone after the disk had been parked for a while. The spindle motor didn't have enough torque to break the sticktion, which meant the drive wouldn't spin up and go on-line.

The...er...solution to this annoyance was to give the drive mechanism a moderately sharp rap with the butt end of a screw driver. I seem to recall that that "sweet spot" at which the "nudge" should be applied was the right rear corner of the device when the front was facing you. This had to be done with power applied, so one had to be careful to not whack the thing too hard, lest the heads go skipping across the platters and make like a duffer swinging a five-iron at the golf course. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:59 am 

Is there today some company still producing 65C02? I have a computer which uses R65C02PI and I am having some difficulties to buy it here in Brazil. I am trying to revive my (beloved) 80's first computer, where I learned digital electronics and 6502 machine language, but it is seeming more hard than I thought. Thanks all.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:04 pm 

Western Design Center. Go to e.g. jameco.com and search for Western Design Center

-Tor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:18 pm 

Anonimo Oculto wrote:
I am trying to revive my (beloved) 80's first computer, where I learned digital electronics and 6502 machine language
Welcome, Anonimo! :)

As you may know, Rockwell R65C02P2, R65C02P3 and R65C02P4 are acceptable substitutes for the R65C02P1. There are various sources where you can buy these (and other 6502) chips, as mentioned earlier in this thread. As for WDC 'C02's, in your case these are slightly less desirable than Rockwell, due to minor differences in pinout (and also electrical properties, as explained in the second post of this thread).

However, it's possible your original CPU is intact, and no replacement is needed. Can you tell us more about your computer? What type is it, what symptoms does it show, and what leads you to believe the CPU is defective? (The CPU is only one of many components which could be responsible for a malfunction).

cheers
Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:55 pm 

The sticky topic "65xx pars sources" (which is now just above this one) has all the info.