6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:32 pm 

Nightmaretony wrote:
...I'm scratch-writing an assembler that runs under Thoroughbred Dictionary-IV (a very powerful, multiuser timesharing language in which I have developed for many years).
The time will come for you to release it, i hope to make the switch since you are here.

That most likely won't happen because most people won't be willing to invest in the Thoroughbred runtime to use the assembler (8 users = 1500 USD). I've thought about writing an assembler in C, but don't feel like diverting that much time to such a project.

Quote:
My GF dumped me some years back when she left our movie gig...Tis fine, there are two wonderful ladies I talk to these days. Both actresses and down to earth :)
and was kidding with the carnal relations. Gotta have a smile in there...

I personally wouldn't have anything to do with an actress. I prefer women with normal occupations. Someone who is a computer programmer would be ideal. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:54 pm 

Ouch, will pass unless you hit it in da C libraries :) and this was a case of ady dragging me and it was... YOU!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:52 am 

Nightmaretony wrote:
Ouch, will pass unless you hit it in da C libraries :) and this was a case of ady dragging me and it was... YOU!

If you feel ambitious and can program in ANSI C, I seem to recall the source code for André Fachat's xa65 assembler is available and could be reworked to generate an assembly listing. I set that idea aside after concluding I could scratch-write one with the tools I already have without having to sift through another's code and try to deduce what is going on sans comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:52 am 

HUH?! Acting isn't a "normal occupation?" Since when?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:42 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Nightmaretony wrote:

If you feel ambitious and can program in ANSI C, I seem to recall the source code for André Fachat's xa65 assembler is available and could be reworked to generate an assembly listing. I set that idea aside after concluding I could scratch-write one with the tools I already have without having to sift through another's code and try to deduce what is going on sans comments.

I'm not ambitious at this time on that count. My list of projects is way too large so I would prefer to use a utility already there. For a short list of my projects:

pinball computer whihc is the big project in spare time. A 1970's pinball ran on an F8. TRY and get it repaired these days. That is what the computer is for.
picture of the hardware so far.
http://www.nightmarepark.com/public/Pic ... CPU002.jpg
Yup, the main CPU is based on the SBC-1 (thanks a mil, Darryl!), but modified my way. Eventually, all logic will migrate into a CPLD.

haunted house, the reason for my tagline. I tried to get a permit to open this year and got rezoned and had to sell my 3 haunts.
http://www.nightmarepark.com/public/Pic ... le%20L.jpg
http://www.nightmarepark.com/public/Pic ... 0small.jpg
(am keeping the hearse though. :). Next phase, build a metal workshop/storage building to build and store it.

music soundtracking.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2158451/
just got a theremin and restoring a pump organ for this gig :)

And other projects such as an arcade game system and an alternate reality game.

so yup, discretionary free time isNOT in my life description :)

and havented touched C in ages except tp update the old Tera 2 self test originally written in Borland to work under Visual C. Other than that, I stick with assembly for the pinball machine. Spent the last couple of months revamping the pinball program to be more modular in architecture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:21 am 

kc5tja wrote:
HUH?! Acting isn't a "normal occupation?" Since when?

As Yakov Smirnoff used to say when starting his act, "I make yoke!"

Actually, I don't look at any entertaining job as real work. Real work produces a product or service that has widespread benefit to people. Exactly what benefit does one derive from watching someone recite lines and act out make-believe on TV?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:24 am 

Nightmaretony wrote:
I'm not ambitious at this time on that count. My list of projects is way too large so I would prefer to use a utility already there.

Ditto here, except that I definitely need an assembler that generates '816 code and is reasonably friendly to use. My object is to develop some software, not work around assembler shortcomings. Hence my work on a custom assembler.

I'd given some thought to purchasing the SDK sold by WDC, but am put off by the price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:31 pm 

I'll never understand why manufacturers charge for their toolchains. Charging for support, I can understand - but surely giving it away would sell more product?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:55 pm 

Cost in development time, perhaps?