6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fake 6502s?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:14 am 

Recently I went over some auctions with very cheap 6502 CPUs.

When I asked to get the actual photo I have received the attached images. Considering that the 4 digits are WEEK:YEAR I think those are some other CPUs, which were sandblasted the original marking, blacktopped and new marking was lasered?

Any opinion on that?
Thanks!

Code:
Broken external image link
https://gcdn.pbrd.co/images/3etoQo5W1Ihy.png?o=1
Code:
Broken external image link
https://gcdn.pbrd.co/images/szed3uGUDQnc.png?o=1

Post subject: Re: Fake 6502s?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:29 am 

I think MOS Technology went out of business in 2001, and quit making 6502's long before that. I don't think any NMOS 6502's have been made in the last 30 years, whereas the CMOS 65c02 is in production today, with no end in sight. We have a sticky topic on 65xx sources, at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1953 . I make updates to the head post when I receive new information. It also addresses spotting counterfeits.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:34 am 

Quote:
We have a sticky topic on 65xx sources
65xx parts sources, genuine and fake

(See also, perhaps, this thread:
Bargain chips bought online - buyer beware!
Edit: which I now notice is linked there already...
)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:55 am 

stenlik wrote:
Recently I went over some auctions with very cheap 6502 CPUs.

When I asked to get the actual photo I have received the attached images. Considering that the 4 digits are WEEK:YEAR I think those are some other CPUs, which were sandblasted the original marking, blacktopped and new marking was lasered?

Any opinion on that?
Thanks!

The date code is definitely bogus. MOS Technology shut down shortly after Commodore went bankrupt, which was in 1994.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:41 pm 

They have been tampered with, however they may still be 6502s. Just a matter of whether or not you want to take your chances to get some cheap CPUs. I have received some with weird date codes and manufacturing locations, but they did turn out to be what they said they were (6502/65C02). Who they were really made by or when or where is anyone's guess though. Your mileage may vary.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:00 am 

Welcome to the China remarking lottery market. Because that’s what it is with popular out of production chips (by this I mean the NMOS versions being out of production).

Chips that have been pulled from old equipment are cleaned up, and then the tops relabelled (remarked). Then they as sold as ‘new’.

Often they work. But you will have no idea of the speed rating. And the people who do this often don’t make any distinction between NMOS and CMOS types. So you may get a NMOS marked with a CMOS part number, or a CMOS part marked with a NMOS part number.

This also happens with other chips, including Zilog Z80 microprocessors.

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:27 am 

1024MAK wrote:
And the people who do this often don’t make any distinction between NMOS and CMOS types.

Nor do they take adequate ESD precautions. There are numerous stories of chips being packaged in bubble-wrap, tissue paper and in one case of which I am aware, a paper towel—with the bare pins exposed.

You only get what you pay for. Pay a low price and expect to receive junk. Dunno about y'all, but my time is too valuable to me to be chasing problems caused by counterfeit parts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:08 pm 

Trouble is, if you want NMOS or older CMOS parts, you don't have much choice. Maybe we should try to compile a list of trusted sources.

Edit: Never mind. I see we already have such a list.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:09 pm 

Don't know why Chinese dealers go through the trouble of re-marking ICs. The simplistic explanation is they are like novice coin collectors who polish old coins to make them shinny thus unknowingly destroyed coins's numismatic values. Or perhaps there are rules requiring them to re-mark recycled ICs. I predict that as more and more ICs are re-marked, the ICs with original markings will become more expensive and even "collectible"!
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:30 pm 

plasmo wrote:
Don't know why Chinese dealers go through the trouble of re-marking ICs. The simplistic explanation is they are like novice coin collectors who polish old coins to make them shinny thus unknowingly destroyed coins's numismatic values. Or perhaps there are rules requiring them to re-mark recycled ICs. I predict that as more and more ICs are re-marked, the ICs with original markings will become more expensive and even "collectible"!
Bill

Reminds me of a chapter in "Bill the Galactic Hero" where he packages up waste and uses the 'free" government inter-planetary postal service to get rid of it ...

Ever tried to return something to China?

-Gordon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:13 am 

drogon wrote:

-Gordon

I've never had to. If it didn't get delivered or was not as expected then 100% of the time I have been refunded 100% of my money - no argument. I used to fret about ordering from China, but I don't anymore. Mind you, I won't order anything I really need spec'd right, or has to be had quickly, from China. Usually just jelly-bean items to replenish stock, or interesting doo-dads I'm willing to take a risk on.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:05 am 

BillO wrote:
drogon wrote:

-Gordon

I've never had to. If it didn't get delivered or was not as expected then 100% of the time I have been refunded 100% of my money - no argument. I used to fret about ordering from China, but I don't anymore. Mind you, I won't order anything I really need spec'd right, or has to be had quickly, from China. Usually just jelly-bean items to replenish stock, or interesting doo-dads I'm willing to take a risk on.

Indeed - essentially the import duties on stuff going into China is so high that it's cheaper for them to simply refund you - which most of the time they will to maintain reputation... So they get rid of their junk, we often get good stuff, but sometimes not and almost everyone is happy most of the time... sort of!

-Gordon