6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Contest!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:06 pm 

(Updating fist post with the official rules.)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:57 pm 

I suppose this is a little late, but, may I point out a couple examples, please? Of course I ran into BillO's 6507 build on another forum long ago. Is it ok to post that link, Bill?

Mike Naberezny published a very nice 6504 SBC example here on the forum project pages.

Michal Cierniak built and documented a nice 6507 trainer with RAM, ROM, 16450 UART, 6526 CIA, and an LCD display (Feb-2018) and he also published a nice demo' video to go along with it. He referenced Mike Naberezny's 6504 SBC example in the video...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:34 pm 

Michael wrote:
I suppose this is a little late, but, may I point out a couple examples, please? Of course I ran into BillO's 6507 build on another forum long ago. Is it ok to post that link, Bill?

Sure! And it's never too late...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:12 pm 

Hey everyone.

It's been a year now (plus a bit) so I guess its time to hand out the prizes.

I think, of the 3 entries we've had only one completion and I believe that was jds' TIM project. SO I guess that makes him the winner.

Druzyek contacted me for more parts, so I think he's still working on his.

Not sure if Chromatix is still active on his.

If anyone wants to post an update using BigEd's BUGS self scoring rubric that would be great.

- was it fun
- did you learn something
- did it work
- did you finish (maximum score 9 out of 10)
- did you keep a progress thread on this forum
- did you publish your sources (with an open source license for full marks)
- did you accept any input from collaborators or commenters (the more the merrier)
- extra points for being Educational, Surprising, Amusing or Interesting
- have you published a blog, featured on Hackaday, been discussed on other forums
- have you ideas for extensions or follow-on projects

In any case I have the loot boxes ready to go. I already sent one out to Druzyek along with the other stuff he wanted. For jds. and Chromatix, please send a pm and we can arrange to ship out your packages. I'll pay the shipping, but I'd like each of you to paypal to me like $0.50 (or whatever the PayPal minimum is) as a purchase, not friends and family. That way I will not only get your shipping address, but I'll get to use PayPal shipping which gives me a good discount on Canada Post rates because it goes through my Canada Post company account.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:06 am 

Thanks BillO,

I feel a little like I haven't completed the project because I haven't documented it. I have actually completed some documentation but it's not quite done and therefore not published. I'll count this as motivation to get that last bit done.

One main comment, it would have been a lot easier and more useful to have just used a 6502. It's probably going to be the only 6507/4 system I design, so I am pleased to have had the experience. But in this case using a 6502 would have been a lot simpler and also more useful.

Also, my board has died and is not currently functional. I think what happened is an earth link (a blue wire added during debugging) broke, and even with that resurrected the board is not functional. My leading theory is that one or more chips were supplied with 5v and no ground and that caused some damage. All chips are socketed so it should be simple to see if that is the case. I'd hate for the 6530-004 to be damaged, but I do have a second one (I think).

BUGS scoring
- was it fun
Yes. Fun and quite challenging.
- did you learn something
A lot. I guess I learned the most from the mistakes, so my learning is documented in small blue wires.
- did it work
Yes, for a while at least, and it will again.
- did you finish (maximum score 9 out of 10)
Yes.
- did you keep a progress thread on this forum
Yes.
- did you publish your sources (with an open source license for full marks)
I didn't write any software, which some may regard as a bit of a cheat, but will publish all hardware documentation with open-source license. I also have some left over boards if anyone would like to build a similar system (but I feel a bit bad as some patches are required).
- did you accept any input from collaborators or commenters (the more the merrier)
I had a lot of help from the forum, and probably wouldn't have figured out the address decode without it. Cromatix's suggestion got me most of the way there.
- extra points for being Educational, Surprising, Amusing or Interesting
I found it educational in the sense that it was interesting to see how some of the very first 6502 systems were constructed. I also tried to use period accurate parts, which was quite challenging. I learnt when looking for a particular part, check and see if there are differently named equivalents (thanks Garth).
- have you published a blog, featured on Hackaday, been discussed on other forums
I will get right on it.
- have you ideas for extensions or follow-on projects
I am tempted to redesign the board with a full 6502, it would be a lot more useful. I have used the same board format (and expansion bus) to build a Rockwell R65F11 FORTH microcomputer and am just waiting on the last parts before getting that going. I have also got PCB's on the way for a bus backplane for either the TIM-1, Rockwell FORTH, or other boards. There are currently no expansion boards so it's just a fancy board holder and power supply at this stage.

Attachments:
IMG_0546.jpg
IMG_0546.jpg [ 2 MiB | Viewed 396 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:01 am 

Excellent result!