6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: TAKING A BREAK
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:26 pm 

Dajgoro wrote:
7500$ fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, that is a loooooooootttttttttt of money for a hobby. I hope that it is worth the fun! :D

It doesn't speak to how long he's been working on it. If it's, say, two years, that's $75 a week, $15 a day. $75 is dinner and a movie for two nowadays (and a lot of people go to the movies every week). Yes, it's a lot of money, but ideally in a well planned retirement, with a mortgage paid off, you get a little extra capital to spend on things like this.

I sometimes wished I took up carpentry and cabinet making instead of computers. If I did, and spent what I've spent on computers, I'd have a shop better equipped than Norm Abram, and the tools would still be useful vs the quiet, idle hulks sitting up in my attic.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:06 pm 

ElEctric_EyE wrote:
Well, considering.... If you are using flux core wire for your MIG welder this must be OK then. But I've had many years experience in exhaust work with MIG welders using Argon and Oxygen gas and the results are way superior.

EDIT: Let me correct that, been more than a few years since I did exhaust work, since all manufacturers switched to stainless steel and I had to leave that line of work. So my immediate memory was lacking in my previous comment... For welding, I believe we used Argon along with the MIG welders. For the cutting torches we used Oxygen and Acetylene. And this was work done on everyday vehicles on the road.

I use solid wire with 75/25 shielding gas. Also, as I said, this is quarter-inch steel, so the welds are going to be bigger than what you would see on exhaust tubing, which is rarely heavier than 16 gauge.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:11 pm 

whartung wrote:
Dajgoro wrote:
7500$ fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, that is a loooooooootttttttttt of money for a hobby. I hope that it is worth the fun! :D

It doesn't speak to how long he's been working on it. If it's, say, two years, that's $75 a week, $15 a day. $75 is dinner and a movie for two nowadays (and a lot of people go to the movies every week). Yes, it's a lot of money, but ideally in a well planned retirement, with a mortgage paid off, you get a little extra capital to spend on things like this.

I started on the locomotive in 2003 and it first ran on the tracks in 2008. I don't have a mortgage or other long-term debt to worry about, so as whartung pointed out, I have discretionary capital for hobbies.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:17 am 

A 9 year timespan is already more reasonable. 75$ dinner and a movie for two, it seems prices in the us are higher than over here. For 75$ you can get dinner(regular meal, like spaghetti, or some meat) and movie for four over here.
If you look it that way, then i spent a lot of money on my projects and tools(soldering iron, scope, programmer, ect...) as well , maybe a few thousand dollars in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:39 am 

Quote:
If you look it that way, then i spent a lot of money on my projects and tools(soldering iron, scope, programmer, ect...) as well , maybe a few thousand dollars in total.

and you can't afford wire-wrap sockets? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:40 am 

Dajgoro wrote:
How do you bend the steel to get that U shape chassis, it is 1-2cm thick after all. Or do you order it that way?

It is 1/4 inch or 6.35 mm thick. A local shop has a large brake press that can bend that stuff. They also have laser cutters, which are used to shape pieces, as well as put holes where needed. The laser cutting is accurate to about .003 inches or .076 mm.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:05 am 

GARTHWILSON wrote:
Quote:

and you can't afford wire-wrap sockets? :lol:

I get scared when i see a big price on a single bill.
Also when i buy stuff more often, the mom alarm sounds, saying "How much money did you spent on those packets that arrived?", and then i have to say "not much". :mrgreen:
Also i must watch at the 28$ limit, everything that exceeds that price customs might be charged, and if they aren't in the mood, they can charge up to 50% of the price.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:47 pm 

BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
...They also have laser cutters, which are used to shape pieces, as well as put holes where needed. The laser cutting is accurate to about .003 inches or .076 mm.[/size]

Very nice equipment there. That kind of accuracy in metal shaping lends itself to press fitting pieces together.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:22 pm 

ElEctric_EyE wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
...They also have laser cutters, which are used to shape pieces, as well as put holes where needed. The laser cutting is accurate to about .003 inches or .076 mm.

Very nice equipment there. That kind of accuracy in metal shaping lends itself to press fitting pieces together.

Access to laser cutting had a significant effect on my design. In years past, I would have fabricated something like this from sections of tubing and/or CF bar stock (frame rigidity is paramount in a locomotive, and weight helps as well). Using laser cutting, I could build the frame from formed pieces cut from hot rolled plate steel, achieving the same degree of rigidity, and with much less fitting and welding. Basically, the frame is in three pieces, the middle section being the most complex (it's like a tub). Simple fixturing, along with using a modified Black & Decker laser level to align everything, was all it took to create the frame. After welding, the overall length was within 1/32 inch (0.8 mm) of the designed dimension of 76.375 inches (193.99 cm). The welded frame with all brackets in place weighs about 145 pounds (65.9 kg).

Attachment:
File comment: F7 Frame Drawing
frame_loco.gif
frame_loco.gif [ 68.84 KiB | Viewed 1554 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:20 am 

I bumped into this topic while searching for something else and recalled the discussion about my locomotive project. Here are a few pictures of it with the body installed, although not yet finished or in paint.
Attachment:
EMD_F7.gif
EMD_F7.gif [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 1502 times ]
Attachment:
EMD_F7_fsv.gif
EMD_F7_fsv.gif [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 1502 times ]
Attachment:
EMD_F7_frv.gif
EMD_F7_frv.gif [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 1502 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:51 pm 

BDD, looks like a real labour of love. It's hard to figure it out from the pics, but what's the scale?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:03 am 

Aslak3 wrote:
BDD, looks like a real labour of love. It's hard to figure it out from the pics, but what's the scale?

The scale is 1.6 inches to the foot. The unit is about 16 inches wide, 22½ inches from the railhead to the top of the (yet-to-be-mounted) air horns, 6½ feet long and weighs nearly a half ton. The prime mover is a Briggs & Stratton industrial V-twin, developing 16 horsepower.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:21 am 

Here are some more recent picture of my locomotive. Also a link to a video shot during some load testing. Progress has been slowed a lot by my ongoing medical issues.

Attachment:
File comment: Engineer's Side View
es02.gif
es02.gif [ 1.12 MiB | Viewed 1111 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Front View w/Headlight
headlight01.gif
headlight01.gif [ 2.38 MiB | Viewed 1111 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:08 am 

Very impressive. You led me to have a read of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_lo ... ansmission

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:27 pm 

BigEd wrote:
Very impressive. You led me to have a read of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_lo ... ansmission

It's interesting that European railroads have developed locomotives with hydrodynamic transmissions to the extent that they have, yet such locomotives are practically non-existent in North America—I've never seen one. On the face of it, it would seem hydrodynamic power transmission would be better than electric—no traction motors to overheat and burn out. Also, the control system can be much less complex. Not to be overlooked is the technical skill required to maintain and repair what is basically a scaled-up version of an automobile's automatic transmission is much less than required with a Diesel-electric unit.

However, the operating conditions to which freight (goods) locomotives on Canadian and American railroads are subjected are much more severe than seen in most other parts of the world. Train lengths exceeding 125 cars are common, and train weights often reach 15,000 tons when hauling bulk commodities. It takes an enormous amount of power to haul such a train, especially in the moutain districts.

As an example, an EMD SD70ACe freight locomotive develops 4500 horsepower and 157,000 pounds of continuous tractive effort. I've seen trains with as many as six of these locomotives in use, usually four pulling and two pushing. The forces involved are mind-boggling. While a hydrodynamic transmission could be made that would withstand that level of power, the transmission's output has to be transferred to the trucks (bogeys) and ultimately to the wheelsets. To date, no satisfactory method of doing so has been developed for high-horsepower freight locomotives.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next