6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:46 pm 

Hi Tor,
Tor wrote:
I find the black background makes it very difficult to read those diagrams.

The black background is easier for me, but not for anyone. When the diagram becomes final, the black background will be changed to white background.
Bryan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:00 pm 

If you change the background to white, you may need to change other colours to darker shades.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:15 pm 

Hi Ed,
BigEd wrote:
Bryan Parkoff wrote:
Which is better do you like A Reg1/2.png or A Reg3/4.png?
the simpler transistors in images 2 and 4 are much better.

Do you like both image 2 and image 4? Which size of image 2 or image 4 do you prefer?
BigEd wrote:
As for the dark labels, no, sorry, I can't see them. Only with the monitor turned up painfully bright and with 300% scaling can I see them. Bear in mind that I'm in my mid-50s. Well, early 50s. As we age much less light gets into the eye.

Well, your retina changes and deteriorates slowly each year like everyone does the same. I am in my 40s while I am retired. I have free time to do 6502 project all the day.
BigEd wrote:
But trying to label everything everywhere is probably not a good plan - knowing what to exclude can be as important as knowing what to include. As a simple example, you have A0 appearing twice - where it is made, and where it is used. That's redundant when the wire between them is relatively short.

All right. I will try to reduce some labels. Do you want to omit "IN" and "OUT" like "A0 IN" and "A0 OUT"? It is not a good idea to have input and output combined in the left side and right side as you recommended input is in the left side and output is in the right side.
BigEd wrote:
On your second post: you like to connect all the pulldowns to a single ground. I think this makes for more clutter and makes the shape of the pulldown tree harder to see. Separate grounds is visually simpler, and exactly the same electrically.

Ok. Do two grounds need to be little widened about 5 pixels instead of 1 pixel in Nor Transistors2.png? Do you prefer the left transistor is positioned in the center or top in the Nor-And Transistors2.png?
BigEd wrote:
On the transistor colours: maybe it helps to use a different colour for pass gates, but blue is a bad choice I think, if you are going to use colour at all, because it's the same as the wires. Maybe yellow would be better.

I am surprised as you prefer yellow or orange wires like described in visual 6502? Do you want to keep blue transistor for pass gates and tri-states?

I thank you for your feedback. I will make some changes as soon as possible. Is 6502 blueprint available to the publisher yet? If not, can you guess when? Two or five years?

Bryan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:20 pm 

BigEd wrote:
If you change the background to white, you may need to change other colours to darker shades.

I keep few colors in my table. I continue to draw the schematic in black background. It helps to keep my eyes getting tired at looking white background. After the schematic becomes final, it can be reprogrammed by Visual C++ to switch all the colors to white and dark colors.

What are you refering darker shades?

Bryan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:26 pm 

(I'm going on vacation soon so won't necessarily be quick with a reply)

I think your diagram 4 is better than 2, perhaps because the transistors are relatively smaller and it looks less cluttered.

I've no special preference for yellow pass transistors, but using blue when you have blue wires and other transistors have different colours is confusing. I'm quite happy with a conventional monochrome diagram - the thing is to be consistent.

I suspect pull down trees should be the same height, and the transistors evently spaced. The idea is to have minimal surprise in any of your layout - what the eye should be picking out is the circuit, not the choices made in drawing it.

About your cross-coupled inverters: you should consider making a loop instead. Both inverters on the bottom half, going from left to right, with a feedback loop going over the top. I assume you've looked carefully at Balazs' schematic?

About the colour choices: yellow and green are prominent on a black background but will not show up well on a white background.

Cheers
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:51 pm 

BigEd wrote:
(I'm going on vacation soon so won't necessarily be quick with a reply)

I hope you have a wonderful time on your vacation soon.

BigEd wrote:
I've no special preference for yellow pass transistors, but using blue when you have blue wires and other transistors have different colours is confusing. I'm quite happy with a conventional monochrome diagram - the thing is to be consistent.

I will choose to paint blue on pass gate transistors and yellow or orange on wires.
BigEd wrote:
About your cross-coupled inverters: you should consider making a loop instead. Both inverters on the bottom half, going from left to right, with a feedback loop going over the top. I assume you've looked carefully at Balazs' schematic?

I agreed. I like loop better than cross-coupled. If some wires need cross-coupled, I will find another way to put wires in opposite position. Of course, I already have Balazs' schematic in my file for several years. His diagram does not look neat. That is why I decided to group some transistors in white, grey, and dark grey borders.
BigEd wrote:
About the colour choices: yellow and green are prominent on a black background but will not show up well on a white background.

I agreed. If white background is chosen by anyone, monochrome is best option.

Bryan