6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2024 5:54 am 

Yuri wrote:
jds wrote:
BigDumbDinosaur wrote:
Permafrost?  Just where is “around here?”

A small relatively uninteresting town in New Zealand, in an area we call the high country, inland with a lot of lakes nearby. Nice in summer, but the fog is not very nice in winter.

This video gives a good idea of what it is like, beautiful sunny day up above, and a strange wintery world below the fog:

https://www.1news.co.nz/2024/07/18/watch-spectacular-hoar-frost-captured-in-drone-footage/

We get a lot of tourists, and they don't always drive very well, there's a picture below that video of a recent incident where a bus full of schoolchildren (from overseas) rolled on the ice.

Always amusing when I speak with a few folks I know in that part of the world, it's like bizzaro time.

"What do you mean you're hitting 30~40C during Janua.....ohhhh.... riiiiiight" :)

Everything is upside down around there, including the weather.  :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2024 4:15 am 

Where I live (Tennessee), we only have two seasons. Very cold and hotter than hell. Very cold lasts about 2 months. We get maybe a month of great weather. Then the rest is hotter than hell.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2024 5:22 am 

We've had continuous rain for the last twenty hours or so; particularly enthusiastic around four this morning, but still drizzling. Which is a shame as I need to stick my head under the car and see which bit of heat shield is rattling around...

(For some reason, the weather forecasters here have taken recently to predicting rainfall in litres per square meter, which is neither use nor ornament until you realise that's actually 'millimetres'...)

Neil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2024 6:59 pm 

cbmeeks wrote:
Where I live (Tennessee), we only have two seasons. Very cold and hotter than hell. Very cold lasts about 2 months. We get maybe a month of great weather. Then the rest is hotter than hell.

Think this sums it up nicely:
Attachment:
tx_weather.jpeg
tx_weather.jpeg [ 66.04 KiB | Viewed 650 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2024 8:47 pm 

Yuri wrote:
cbmeeks wrote:

Think this sums it up nicely:
Attachment:
tx_weather.jpeg

LOL!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 5:41 am 

I'm driving to Gorizia for a week and a half to do some flying, on Thursday. Here's the forecast...

Attachment:
Screenshot from 2024-07-30 07-37-32.png
Screenshot from 2024-07-30 07-37-32.png [ 299.01 KiB | Viewed 609 times ]

Fortunately most of the launch sites are at seven hundred metres or so, and it gets cooler at around ten degrees a thousand metres. :mrgreen: Even at cloudbase I shouldn't be getting frost in my eyebrows.

Neil

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 12:37 pm 

barnacle wrote:
I'm driving to Gorizia for a week and a half to do some flying, on Thursday. Here's the forecast...Fortunately most of the launch sites are at seven hundred metres or so, and it gets cooler at around ten degrees a thousand metres. :mrgreen: Even at cloudbase I shouldn't be getting frost in my eyebrows.

Just watch out for the occasional lightning bolt.  It can be an electrifrying experience when you’re airborne.  :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 1:57 pm 

Me and thunderclouds have an arrangement: I don't try and fly anywhere near them, and they don't suck me up and spit me out, throwing Jovian blessings all the while.

Neil

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 2:10 pm 

barnacle wrote:
Me and thunderclouds have an arrangement: I don't try and fly anywhere near them, and they don't suck me up and spit me out, throwing Jovian blessings all the while.

Jovian blessings, eh?  Zaaaappppppp!!!

Speaking of Jovian blessings, a neighbor decided a few months ago to put up a flagpole in front of his house so he could fly the Stars and Stripes 24/7.  Two days after he erected the pole, we had a storm and the pole acted like a giant lightning rod.  :D  The flag was burned to a crisp and the finial atop the pole was melted down.  Guess it didn’t occur to him that a metal object sticking up in the air with nothing else around it would attract Jupiter’s attention.  :shock: