6502.org Forum  Projects  Code  Documents  Tools  Forum
It is currently Sun Jul 07, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: Introduce yourself
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:44 pm 

Hi everyone, I've been using these forums for quite a while but my project is growing so I figured it's time to create an account and bother the experts around here with (hopefully) a mix of hard and easy questions I've stumbled upon.

I'm yet another software guy but I got the theory in school around 15 years ago so I'm trying to pick it up again.

Looking forward to talking to you all in the forums and I'll see about starting a project thread for my homebrew 65c02 computer that is already fairly far along!

Cheers,
Daniel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:39 am 

Welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:00 pm 

Hi all! Forgive me for my English, not a native speaker here.

When I was a kid, in the late 70's and early 80's my father-line grandparents had a newsstand and every Sunday we visited them and they gave me for free some comics (Mickey Mouse, AKA "Topolino" in Italy, meaning "small, cute mouse") and some magazines... I remember something about trains models and something about electronics and computers. I liked to open radios and everything that run on AC power / battery, even tough I didn't understand much of how it worked. See that I was interested in electronics, my parents (not rich at that time, very difficult to spend money on non-essential items) made a subscription to a electronics school via post-service. Every month you got a magazine + some components... I started to understand something about electronics and when it was time to choose a secondary school, I found my way on a 5-years class for "electric and electronic technician".

In the meantime my father started working in a school as a director and I gathered some rare access to an IBM PC, can't remember the model of it... did some basic programming in Basic. Well, let's go on. In the second year at my high school we had a very young electronics teacher (actually he was a nuclear engineer!) and he was soooo passionate with computers and he managed to had a full computer room prepared within the school, with Lemon computers (Apple clones) - it was fantastic time... about 20-25 mates in the class, only 3 or 4 of us were attracted from computers & programming.

15 years old, Christmas comes, I manage to get a C64 as a gift. Disaster. I spent countless hours on playing and started to program in Basic and later in time I also did some coding in ML; I was astounded by games and demos-intros from crackers... I was a humble boy :) and never had the ambition to be able to do something like that, but at least to understand a little bit of what's running under the hood. I learnt to develop some trivial video effects such as scrolling etc (a quantum-leap, for me!) and cracking some games (I believe their protection system must have been very bad :D), just for fun - never made any money out of it.

After school I participated to a selection for computer CAD designers, sponsored and funded by a local industries association... passed the selection and at the end of the 4 months course all of us had the opportunity to make an internship into a company that was part of the above-said association... after the stage, I was hired not by the company where I spent my internship period, but by the company that made the training :)... the trainers saw my deep interest in computer-anything and I was hired :). Very junior, little experience, started to assemble compatible-PCs, then develop some (do not take me for an excellent programmer/genius, I'm really not!) tools to automate some work. With the money from my job, I also managed to buy an Amiga 2000 but actually I never managed to learn programming on it.

Fast-forward, I've spent 30 years of my life working in IT: lab technician, tech support (I remember the company built some 68000-based systems with "VME" bus (?) and Unix), then I moved more and more to the PC world and get passionate with PCs, how they worked, LANs (does LANtastic make you remember something? I was one of the most expert technicians in Italy :D)... read all TCP/IP RFPs at that time and was very excited when it was possible to connect via TCP/IP to Artisoft (LANtastic makers) in Arizona (using the Wollongong's group TCP/IP tools)! Some experience with DEC Alpha systems then moved more and more into business development / product management for IT distributors until 10 years ago - I had the opportunity to start working for Dell - and it was a very good experience! Michael Dell is a good guy (don't know him in person; I just believe he's a tough one; inspiring - lot of trust in him driving the company).

Still in Dell today, no desire to move! In the meantime I started to think about old times and I want now to build up something... bought some books and retro HW... but also Arduino and Raspberry... I am soon moving to a larger new house and I can have a room for electronics/computers :). I bought and started to read some texts (West' "Programming the Commodore 64" and also Zaks "Programming the 6502" and many more in the queue. I feel an urgency to learn again something and maybe build something (a very simple project), so I also started to read also some electronics texts :-) after many years from my Higher Diploma :-)... in the meantime I enjoy Ben Eater's videos and I have discovered more good material on 6502.org!!!
I feel minuscule when, folks, I read your posts about building up a working computer... before the Internet came!!! Amazing. Well, I love the net because it allows knowledge sharing, even tough it also gives voice to people that only talks to "give air to their mouth", we say in Italian. Many people believe all of the technology around us comes for free, like it's a "default"... :( I understand that in the old times an expert (whatever vertical) was *really* an expert. Nowadays, everyone is an expert...

Well, we come to an end... I enjoyed writing my introduction... I want to learn something... and I think I'm in the right place!

Cheers, have a good August (it's summer here!)
Andrea (BTW, it's a males name in Italy ;))

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:38 pm 

Hi Andrea, and welcome to the forum.
Nice story.

You are in the right place, and we even have TTL implementations of the 6502.

BTW: anycpu.org is a spinoff of our forum for those who want to discuss about other CPUs than the 6502... including the 68000.

Have fun.
Cheers,
Dieter.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:36 am 

Hello!
I'm new to this forum. I don't really know how to introduce myself, so here comes nothing.
I'm french so expect some engrish here and there, rest assured that I'm doing my best :(
I'm 20 and I've programmed several games for the Atari 2600 and the NES so I'm quite familiar with the 6502 (the 6507 and the Ricoh 2A03 to be exact).
Nevertheless I'd like to improve my knowledge of this fantastic microprocessor, so here I am!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:39 am 

Welcome! Do feel free to start a new thread if you have a project to explain or a question to ask.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:37 am 

I had this dream today. I was a kid again, playing with my CBM64. I was wearing the Ghostbusters suit, I took my gear and drove to the city, where the horrible ghosts were waiting for me. I transformed into a pumpkin and entered the castle of Cauldron trying to climb to the top. I failed. I was given another mission. Inside the underground labyrinths of Fist II, fighting with bare hands. Oh, this music... The poisonous gases killed me again. Another mission. I am in an elevator going down. It seems impossible to find my way. I hear a voice: Another visitor! Stay for a while? Stay forever !. Who said that? I started running, I finally see a big mansion. I will be safe here. The owner welcomes me. His name is Dr.Fred. He looks like a good man ...

This is my first day in the world of 6502 (about which I know nothing).
I decided to learn more about Dr.Fred.

I thought of saying hello.
Γεια Χαρά.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:41 am 

Welcome! You'll be dreaming in code in no time...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:18 pm 

I first looked into the 6502 family of processors in mid-2017, when I wanted to make a SNES cheat code that was more advanced than just modifying one or two memory addresses.
Once I made it, however, I lost interest until I discovered (warning: Google Analytics) Easy 6502 during June 2019 and came to like the 6502 for its simplicity.
My interest hasn't gone away, but I can't find a good environment -- ideally, it would support character I/O. The aforementioned Easy 6502 comes close to that, but the fact that it's written in JavaScript disgusts me when I think of expanding it. I would have used the `run6502` program packaged with lib6502, if only it worked.
I have tried to write x86 assembly before, but it involves too much register juggling and it's harder to access memory properly.

Last edited by lowlevelguy on Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:29 pm 

Welcome! Glad you found easy6502 a nice way in - I've done a little work on it, although it's not my project. (Indeed, I've forked it in order to explore variations on the 6502.)

run6502 ought to work: perhaps start a new thread and show us what you're seeing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:01 pm 

Hi there! Long time lurker, recently encouraged to create an account by TangentDelta, who thought folks would want to know about some of my projects!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:35 am 

Hi glitch, and welcome to our forum.

Please tell us some stories about your adventures.

Edit: anycpu.org is a spinoff of our forum for those who want to discuss about other CPUs than the 6502, including the 8085.

Last edited by ttlworks on Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:58 am 

Hm, never thought I'd welcome a glitch. :P But yes, nice to have you with us!

And yes, adventure stories, please (if you feel the inclination). But not here; it's best to start a thread of your own. (And FYI on this forum you can attach images to your posts if you wish.)

-- Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:04 pm 

Dr Jefyll wrote:
Hm, never thought I'd welcome a glitch. :P But yes, nice to have you with us!

I can't recall how many times I've cursed a glitch. :D

Welcome, glitch, to our 6502 world.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:32 am 

Thanks for the welcomes! We're still in the middle of a work rush to try and get stuff out the door for R6501Q SBC kits and other non-vintage day job stuff, but I'll try and post about some of my other projects! One of the systems I spend a fair bit of time hacking on is the Ohio Scientific Challenger 3 given to me by a former employer/current friend. The C3 uses a 6502 for the main CPU, but also has a Z80 and 6800 that you can switch to under software control! I own a few 6502 machines but that's probably the one I hack on the most.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 46  Next